advertisement

Recommend me a decent full suspension X-Country bike ?

^ That's a flippin good idea :)

I think I'll pull the forks apart, change the oil at a minimum, and then see if the travel can be extended. Then ... do some sums on upgrades like that one vs using the fresh Bike-to-work tax break 500 quid on a replacement bike of some ilk.

The SRAM Guide has a "speedport" at the caliper end. Is that what you mean?

There is an adapter that attaches to the port, to allow you to bleed the system, then rotate the adapter to close the bleed port before removing the syringe. In theory, no chance of air getting in unlike a conventional port.

The SRAM Guide has a "speedport" at the caliper end. Is that what you mean?

There is an adapter that attaches to the port, to allow you to bleed the system, then rotate the adapter to close the bleed port before removing the syringe. In theory, no chance of air getting in unlike a conventional port.
I don't think mine has this. I just wish it had a simple motorbike or car bleed nipple, crack it half a turn, force liquid up the pipe, get the air out of the top, close the nipple, close the top. Instead you are supposed to be able to pressurise the system. Oh yeah? Before you open it to the air? That'll work.

Tonight, I had my first proper XC ride on my headset slackened hardtail and I'm pretty happy with how the bike handled. The twitchyness I was feeling when cornering at speed has gone but the steering does feel slower / duller at lower speeds (if that makes sense). In a nutshell, the bike handles better and is more fun when riding fast, a good upgrade. Having said that, my current bike is a 2016 Scott Scale 710 Plus and the stock head angle is 67.6 degrees. The new slacker head angle is 66.1.

The change in head angel, while a good upgrade, is orders of magnitude less than when I upgraded to the Scott from my 2002 26” Gary Fisher Big Sur.
In it’s day the Big Sur was a good bike: top spec alloy frame, lightweight wheelset, 3x9 XT drivetrain. But in the decade and a half since I bought it, there were so many improvements: better geometry, bigger wheels, wider tyres, 1x11 speed clutch drivetrain, better suspension.

Modern bikes are so much more fun than the 26” generation. But 2.5K will not get you light weight and suspension. It’s a tough choice; a trail hardtail such as a Specialized Fuse or Marin Team 2 will be light and much more capable than the Cube. But a full suspension bike like the Orbea Occam will be even more capable on the downs at the expense of hauling your way up the climbs.

Back at the end of last year I decided that I wanted to replace my Scott with something longer and slacker (more capable). But I didn’t / don’t want a heavier bike. My budget was 3K. I couldn’t / can’t find a bike that meets that criteria. I really want that Transition, but I really don’t want to spend 5K on a bike.

It sounds like your ideal bike would be a https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Spur.cfm
It's just a shame about the price.

After this piqued my interest, having a chat with my MTB mates and having a look on t'internet, I've a demo ride on one of these booked with my MTB LBS in July when the next batch land. By all accounts, one of the best mountain bikes ever made.

You only live once and if it's as good as it's supposed to be, and with me at 48, probably the last full-on MTB I'll buy.

I must have watched every YouTube review on the Spur and read every bike mag review, along with plenty of owner testaments on mtbr and singletrackworld. Apparently Transition have raised the price on new orders so it's going to get even more expensive soon. A few weeks ago I upped my credit card limit to within striking distance. My bike fund is currently 4.3K, I could 'redistribute' some funds to make the difference. But I haven't pulled the trigger. I tell myself I only live once. But I already have a hardtail which is super fun for the local trails (the aforementioned Scott) and a modern enduro bike that's great at bike parks and trail centres (Whyte S-150CR). If I wasn't so attached the the Whyte I think I would have already bought the Spur. I think I've reached a point with bikes that I reached with speakers, amps and DACs. Stop upgrading if you already enjoy what you have and a different one won't be a lot better.

Sorry for the ramblings, back on topic, I would say that if you don't own a full suspension mountain bike then buy one that best suits the trails you actually ride and rip it! If you can get a demo first then even better, be it from a shop or a mate. I lent out the Scott to a mate of mine a couple of years ago and then he bought the exact same model, It was a couple of years old by then and he got a very good deal online!

I must have watched every YouTube review on the Spur and read every bike mag review, along with plenty of owner testaments on mtbr and singletrackworld. Apparently Transition have raised the price on new orders so it's going to get even more expensive soon. A few weeks ago I upped my credit card limit to within striking distance. My bike fund is currently 4.3K, I could 'redistribute' some funds to make the difference. But I haven't pulled the trigger. I tell myself I only live once. But I already have a hardtail which is super fun for the local trails (the aforementioned Scott) and a modern enduro bike that's great at bike parks and trail centres (Whyte S-150CR). If I wasn't so attached the the Whyte I think I would have already bought the Spur. I think I've reached a point with bikes that I reached with speakers, amps and DACs. Stop upgrading if you already enjoy what you have and a different one won't be a lot better.

Sorry for the ramblings, back on topic, I would say that if you don't own a full suspension mountain bike then buy one that best suits the trails you actually ride and rip it! If you can get a demo first then even better, be it from a shop or a mate. I lent out the Scott to a mate of mine a couple of years ago and then he bought the exact same model, It was a couple of years old by then and he got a very good deal online!

Quite. I bought a burly 150/140 27.5+ bike that's at the extreme end of the trail spectrum and it's just not suited to any of my local rides. Great fun at Coed Y Brenin or the most extreme bits of the Surrey Hills, but horrible on climbs and road transfers. If I get the Spur, it will probably get sold. As an older father of two small children, I'm also finding that my desire to push the envelope of my abilities is dwindling, and I'm no longer catching the kind of air that requires big travel. I'm thinking that down country bikes may well have been invented for older riders, like me, that feel the same.

Quite. I bought a burly 150/140 27.5+ bike that's at the extreme end of the trail spectrum and it's just not suited to any of my local rides. Great fun at Coed Y Brenin or the most extreme bits of the Surrey Hills, but horrible on climbs and road transfers. If I get the Spur, it will probably get sold. As an older father of two small children, I'm also finding that my desire to push the envelope of my abilities is dwindling, and I'm no longer catching the kind of air that requires big travel. I'm thinking that down country bikes may well have been invented for older riders, like me, that feel the same.

It might be worth considering a lightish hardtail for local rides. My local rides (the Pentland Hills) aren't particularly knarly anywhere and rides there involve a fair bit of climbing so I find I ride the hardtails more than I do the bigger full-suss bikes. The exeption being my Epic but it's a similar weight to my lighter hardtails and rides like one most of the time.

When I do eventually kill my Epic I'm not sure I'd replace it though as the closest modern equivalent would be the Epic Pro and that's £8,250. It's undoubtedly more competent than my ancient bike and might even be a tad faster on the stuff I normally ride due to the clown wheels, but in truth I'd probably just stick to the hardtails for the local stuff as there is no way I'd warrant paying that sort of money now as I just don't ride enough.

I second the appeal of a light hardtail if you don't ride black runs every time you to out.

As for killing a Spesh Epic, good luck. My Kona is 15 years old and only recently have I had to service and replace big ticket items. Had it all landed simultaneously, it would have been game over, but they never do. Parts availability might do for it one day.

It's rather difficult to get more than one of those to be fair, all 3 is impossible.

Depends what "light", "good rear suspension" and "cheap" actually mean.

In my case 28lbs (incl pedals), yes and reasonable has been achieved.
However, in covid times, this is no longer achievable :(

Depends what "light", "good rear suspension" and "cheap" actually mean.

In my case 28lbs (incl pedals), yes and reasonable has been achieved.
However, in covid times, this is no longer achievable :(
What's your machine again S man? I know that it's the price of a good second-hand car, but I'll agree that that passes for "reasonable" these days in the world of full sus MTBs.

Today's Anthem 1 is £2,788 and that comes with lower spec suspension (Performance vs your Performance Elite), groupset (SLX vs your XT) and no dropper post. I would guess if bought today your bike would probably cost over £3,500.

I think the prices of MTBs have gone crazy over the last few years. Not helped by 12 speed groupsets and use of carbon for everything but 'budget'.

I think the prices of MTBs have gone crazy over the last few years. Not helped by 12 speed groupsets and use of carbon for everything but 'budget'.

Hardtail MTBs don't seem to have jumped in price - only full suspension (which are now eye-watering). I had a quick look around and you can still get a decent hard tail for under $1000 over here in the US. My Trek 6500 was $800 in 1998.

It bought my 2009 Audi A5 6 months ago, which I'd like to think was a bit better than fairly crap. I'll go with "well used but still very serviceable". Now the bike's at £3.5k, I rather regret not upgrading 2 years ago. That's certainly decent used car money.

Like I said :D:D
(TBH I am really not a fan of German cars).

As I said earlier, I really don't know what I would get now. I think they have downgraded the Anthems with 29" wheels and less trail-worthy kit.
There are no discounts to be had anywhere :(. Bad for us Yorkshiremen!

A few months after I bought mine, 4 of my riding buddies bought the 2018 models. I think they finished off all the UK stock of 27.5" Anthems.
We call ourselves "The Giant World Cuppa Team" :)

Like I said :D:D
(TBH I am really not a fan of German cars).
Nor am I, but it was a bargain from a mate. It goes like stink, but it's a bit soulless. The Mondeo was more fun, dare I say. Oh, that's a German car too. ☺
Actually I do quite like it.

Slightly off topic (nah...!)..but this is a crazy MTB race film of my favorite run in Meribel (in French I'm afraid, but just skip thorugh the first couple of minutes).

Not me I hasten to add :rolleyes:, but have done it many times, and a couple of times no stops...completely exhausting. The section at about 5:45 has had me off a couple of times...

Bike prices do seem to have shot up...

advertisement

Back