advertisement

Recommend an SLR film camera

For me the sweet spot from the above list is the original FM. The FM2s and FE2s are nice but too expensive now.
FG and FG20 can be had cheap and get good reviews, but I haven’t tried one.
The F3 can still be had for a ‘fair’ value now, but no bargains like there were a few years ago.

Thanks. I have an F3 HP with meter problems that are probably not worth fixing. That is IF I could find a repairman... So was thinking of a more basic body for my lenses. Some of the F(x) cameras seem to be shockingly inexpensive now.

Thanks. I have an F3 HP with meter problems that are probably not worth fixing. That is IF I could find a repairman... So was thinking of a more basic body for my lenses. Some of the F(x) cameras seem to be shockingly inexpensive now.

The meter problems could maybe be fixed by cleaning the electrical contacts under the shutter dial or aperture follower. Worth a service IMO. Another option is to look for an F3 with a dented prism on ebay. These sell at a big discount. Then swap on your nicer prism.

My main gripe with Nikon is that all of the Ais lenses I own have had dried up focusing grease which makes the focus action very loose. It can be fixed in a service but then there is a lottery that infinity calibration will be out.

Currently selling most of my late father's 80+ collection of Minolta SLRs, the quality of engineering you get for current prices is astonishing. I'm just trying to work out what to keep and if I do, the chances of me ever actually using it.

In your shoes I would get something completely mechanical and manual, that does not need a battery. If it has a battery-powered exposure meter, you can probably fudge a replacement battery. If it has no meter, or it is broken, then use a hand-held meter like a Gossen Sixtino or a Weston Master that needs no battery. By the way, Topcon made some very good, solid cameras in the '70s that do not have the "cult value" of a Nikon F so are very cheap.

In your shoes I would get something completely mechanical and manual, that does not need a battery. If it has a battery-powered exposure meter, you can probably fudge a replacement battery. If it has no meter, or it is broken, then use a hand-held meter like a Gossen Sixtino or a Weston Master that needs no battery. By the way, Topcon made some very good, solid cameras in the '70s that do not have the "cult value" of a Nikon F so are very cheap.
I took a Topcan around the world with me. Good camera.

By the way, Topcon made some very good, solid cameras in the '70s that do not have the "cult value" of a Nikon F so are very cheap.

RE Super and Super DM were the classic Topcon cameras, but there was also a junior model, its name escapes me at the moment, it was sort of "Topcon's Nikkormat" even down to the Copal shutter, and it was a very solid little camera. I suppose the drawback would be availability of lenses.

...edit... The baby Topcon was the D-1 or RE-2. I think they're the same camera, different names for different markets.

Last edited:
Currently selling most of my late father's 80+ collection of Minolta SLRs, the quality of engineering you get for current prices is astonishing. I'm just trying to work out what to keep and if I do, the chances of me ever actually using it.

Definitely keep the nicest SRT camera and also an XD7 if he had one of those.

Id recommend keeping an eye out for the K series lenses. The K55mm/f1.8 and K85mm/f1.8 are both gems!

TE="Nic Robinson, post: 4682578, member: 177"]Update:

Thanks so much for the advice. They went for a mint little Pentax MX which I have with me now along with a nice 50mm F2.

Nic.[/QUOTE]

Nikon FM2 if he really wants to learn how photography works. A superb SLR.

Edit: I’ve just checked prices. Madness. At one time they were given away!

Have you had to have the solenoid done ever?
You used to be able to get special batteries that worked with them - dunno if you still can.

edit, yeah, it’s called a wein cell

I should get an om1, they are one of the most beautiful mechanical objects ever made.

Can you recommend a reliable s/h SLR for an enthusiastic 20-something who's interested in film photography. Ideally not too cumbersome/heavy. Around £200 perhaps with lens (maybe a zoom)?

I have an OM10 body** which is sitting in a drawer doing nothing. It's been used, and has given excellent service. You can have it for the price of the postage, gratis. I'm happy it will go to a good home.

I have just bought another Olympus DSLR, so I have no need of it, anymore.

** (no lens, you have the choice of lenses, then).

Update:

Thanks so much for the advice. They went for a mint little Pentax MX which I have with me now along with a nice 50mm F2.

Nic.

Nic, I have a redundant ME Super, plus a 50 1.4 and a 135 F2.5 (cracking lens in its day), should you be so inclined.

Nic, I have a redundant ME Super, plus a 50 1.4 and a 135 F2.5 (cracking lens in its day), should you be so inclined.
Now an ME super is exactly what I was goiung to suggest. My first serious SLR and a very lovely, much un appreciated camera and lenses IMO

I had an ME Super for a while, then an MEF. Moved to Canon quite quickly. Somewhere I still have an EOS 5 body

I've got an MX, an ME super and an OM1 with various widish lenses (28 through 50) and I rarely use them, but I can't bring myself to get rid of them as they are gorgeous. 35mm is a weird format for me, I love the camera size and the lenses are great, but it's always a bit disappointing to enlarge unless you get everything spot on. I much prefer 645 by comparison, which seems to be so much more forgiving in the darkroom, and translating images to paper is more natural with the aspect ratio, but the cameras are just so much more chunky. Still, first world problems eh?

My ME super days were pre darkroom for me....mostly snaps sent off to Boots for quickprints !
It wasn't my first proper camera, that was a Cosina (not counting the Ilford Sportsman as there was little control). Once I'd discovered processing, around 1983 IIRC I sold the Pentax for a Contax RTS 11, and had access to a Bronica at the same time. Just this Contax, complete with Zeiss 50mm T* 1.7 (sharp as sharp) has just appeared on Ebay at around £250. If it's in good shape that camera is wonderful.

advertisement

Back