advertisement

Recommend an iPhone music player

JTC

PFM Villager...
Looking for recommendations for good third party apps that will allow me to store, manage and playback music on an iPhone.

(to elaborate, I know there are quite a few options, I just wanted to know what's worth the hassle and what's best avoided)

I use Onkyo HF player on my iphone which seem pretty good to me. Prefer db poweramp on android but not available on istore

Anything else I should shortlist? When you start digging there are quite a few players, but I'd rather just go straight for one that will do everything I need. Which is to say, allow me to playback albums in either AAC, MP3 or FLAC (depending on what I've got - mostly FLAC), show artwork, and allow me to put music on the iPhone without having to do it using iTunes or whatever they're calling it nowadays.

(As an alternative, since it's been ages since I last looked into this, is there any merit in any Apple-provided music player, and how can I get my existing music (formats as above) onto the phone without using iTunes or its current variant? Ideally I'd just drop a chunk of my existing audio library (99% FLAC) onto the phone somehow.)

Vox might be worth a look - established product and well polished UI. I use it on my MBP. The free version limits functionality, and I've never paid for the full version so can't tell how good/bad that is.

I also use Evermusic on the iPhone. Bit 'techie' but I have an unusual use-case. Also on a freemium model, also I've not paid for it yet.

TBF I'd rather there were a 'Must Have' player app that costs maybe a tenner but that everyone raves about. Can't be doing with subscription models, or freemium nickel-and-dime limitation-ware (for the most part). Sometimes I just like the simplicity of paying for a product once and being done, knowing that it's good and does the job. I'd far rather pay for a good thing than make do with a poorly supported free thing.

I have Evermusic pro. It’s not perfect and has a few quirks but it does allow you to load music onto your iPhone. It definitely does flac. I got it for nothing early on when I complained about flac not being gapless. My son says it is now but only if you play an album from the beginning.

Things might have taken a sideways lurch for now, inasmuch as I've been offered a six month free Apple Music subs via EE. So I might explore the Apple Music option as both streaming and local playback of my own stuff and see how that pans out first. Maybe it'll be ok these days, but memories of iTunes persist..... :|

John, aren’t you a Roon user? I must be misremembering, because if you were, the obvious choice would be Roon Arc.

Another shout for Onkyo HF Player here, been using it for about 5 years. One off £9.99 is what I paid.

By all means take the 6 months Apple freebie, in fact it may be all you need, but of course after that 6 months, Apple price kicks in!

Cheers....Dave

Indeed. In the past I have found the streaming services not to work well for me, my main objective is to be able to listen to my own music collection when out with my phone without too much hassle and with decent library management. But I'm not ruling something that can also integrate the streaming services either.

advertisement

Back