advertisement

Recommend active reprobox pair, ~£300

jirij

Virtual Member
Hi,
I'm more of a headphone guy (currently AKG K702 and Sennheiser HD 650, along with others), using MDAC as my main .. well .. DAC with integrated heapdhone amp, but I'd also like a pair of reproboxes, labeled "for starters".

I currently live in a rather smaller room, but I plan to move to something bigger (~250 square feet), so one of the advantages would be reuseability of these reproboxes.

I aim either for Samson Auro D208 or Behringer B208D (basically the same thing) on stands. Both active PA reproboxes, 8" woofer, most likely directly hookable via XLR to the MDAC. I imagine they would do what I need just fine - the question is - how "just fine" is the sound quality of such boxes for room listening?

I'm sure £500 speakers with a power amplifier for about the same price sound much better and I might get there one day, but right now it's more about standalone speaker solution that doesn't sound, forgive the expression, "like crap".

For reference, I think that $80 "Behringer monitor 1C-BK" together with a $20 circuit based on TA2020 class D amp sounds pretty good, so I might have rather low expectations when it comes to speakers.

I'd look on my own, but there are so little reviews on active reproboxes of this size / price range, that I can't really decide.

Thanks for any tips.

advertisement

Back