advertisement

Recommend a SACD player please

murphydog

Canine member
I seem to have accumulated a fair few sacds.
What would it cost me to listen to them on a half decent player?
Cheers

I’ve got a Sony SCD-XB780QS dedicated sacd player, in black with remote and manual. Not boxed but excellent condition.
I’ve got quite a few sacd’s as well (mostly classical)!
I’m after about £180

Buy my Oppo :) To be serious, an Oppo 103 is just behind on SACD a £3K transport/dac playing the CD layer. I did the dem today. So, perhaps if you have a good CDP don’t bother with SACD. In various blind tests no one heard a difference compared to red book.

I have owned an Oppo 105 for five years and never realised it played SACD’s!
I remember hearing a demo of SACD when the format was first released and being impressed, but quickly gave up on the idea of buying a SACD player due to the tiny catalogue of available albums. The Oppo was bought to play Blurays.

I'm not convinced that SACDs are better than CDs as a format, but mastering on SACDs* often is, therefore...

Joe

* Before anyone asks, of course I did the dems blind and level matched. I also built an alter of oscilloscopes and spectrum analyzers, which face Keith's place to ensure that objectivity aligns with the stars.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm not convinced that SACDs are better than CDs as a format, but mastering on SACDs* often is, therefore...

Joe

* Before anyone asks, of course I did the dems blind and level matched. I also built an alter of oscilloscopes and spectrum analyzers, which face Keith's place to ensure that objectivity aligns with the stars.
Joe, nearly all SACDs are dual layer. The CD layer will be the same mastering. As you say, usually good.

I've owned a couple of SACD-compatible players that some around here might consider roughly half decent.

The Denon DVD-2910 (which I owned) and its bigger sib the 3910 (which I heard many times) are fine and can be had for not many units of currency. I now have a Pioneer Elite DV59AVI, which I prefer on SACD and DVD-A playback, although the Denons may sound slightly better on redbook cd.

Alex,

Joe, nearly all SACDs are dual layer. The CD layer will be the same mastering. As you say, usually good.

I compared a few CDs to the SACD versions, so different discs but played in the same machine. I slightly preferred the SACD most times.

Joe

Alex,

OK, but my comment is about mastering, which tends to be better on SACDs in my experience, whichever layer you play.

Joe

I have owned an Oppo 105 for five years and never realised it played SACD’s!
I remember hearing a demo of SACD when the format was first released and being impressed, but quickly gave up on the idea of buying a SACD player due to the tiny catalogue of available albums. The Oppo was bought to play Blurays.
So you purchased a 105 that is identical to a 103 for video without knowing it played SACD? You paid twice as much for a better dac and analogue output stage btw.

Alex,

OK, but my comment is about mastering, which tends to be better on SACDs in my experience, whichever layer you play.

Joe
Joe, I know that’s what you’re saying but to the best of my knowledge, when a 2 channel SACD layer is remastered the CD layer will be remastered also, and the same. (I don’t know about the technical level but same engineers).

PS I don’t have any single layer Japanese SACDs to compare.

PPS Probably need to fine tune my Keith orientation device.

Yes, I was after a blu ray player with battleship build quality and multi channel analogue outputs. I bought it used so the price was reasonable. I still use it for playing blurays and extracting audio signal from my TV’s HDMI output.

Since moving to a smaller place I no longer have a separate home cinema system and the Oppo is connected to the main system, so I could in theory play a SACD if I had one:)

I've owned a couple of SACD-compatible players that some around here might consider roughly half decent.

The Denon DVD-2910 (which I owned) and its bigger sib the 3910 (which I heard many times) are fine and can be had for not many units of currency. I now have a Pioneer Elite DV59AVI, which I prefer on SACD and DVD-A playback, although the Denons may sound slightly better on redbook cd.

I’ve had both the Denon 3910 and 3930 over the years, both absolutely excellent. Worth noting though as it is a dvd, cd and sacd player it takes a few seconds longer than typical platers to reach the toc. Never bothered me but be aware of it.

advertisement

Back