advertisement

Recommend a mono laser printer please

twotone

pfm Member
Hi guys, some of you may recall that I had network issues with my current Samsung mono laser printer which have never really been resolved so when I want to print now I have to go to the printer and connect a USB cable from the printer to one of my laptops which are a MacBook Pro (2015) and an HP laptop running windows 10.

Anyway the printer requires a new print cartridge so I’ve decided to buy a new printer now and one with a network connection ie a cable to connect direct to the Drayton router as they’re next to each other I’m not too fussed about a usb connection but maybe wireless and maybe AirPrint.

I don’t print a lot maybe about 300 or so A4 invoices a year and I rarely use the scanner in the current MF printer but I do use it occasionally.

The cost of printed pages isn’t really an issue or the cartridges either but not extortionate either but what is most important is for the bloody thing to connect to my router & network and basically work out of the box more or less within about ten minutes and be stable with no more faffing about with a laptop on one hand and trying to connect a cable to said laptop with the other.

I’ve had a look at the new HP laser printers that you can refill with a syringe for about £15 but the reviews regarding connection to network and setting up when new has put me off those same with brother printers and xerox printers too which all seem to suffer from network issues although I do accept that not all of those network problems are down to the printers and or their software and hardware.

Budget is about £200 including vat and delivery.

Thanks

Tony

I bought a second hand HP LaserJet Pro M15W for £50 on eBay.
Came with a cartridge, connected to WiFi with minimal fuss, using AirPrint from iPad and iPhone.
Might be worth you having a look for similar.

I've had a small Samsung colour laser for quite a few years and it's been completely trouble free, so I'd be inclined towards them. Looking on Amazon their B&W lasers seem to start at under £100 however most of the cheaper options seem to be out of stock there. I used a wired ethernet connection but the printer can do wireless as well I think. We print to it from quite a few different computers in the house and connectivity has never been a problem.

We have been down this route before when a pfmer was about to junk a perfectly working printer that wouldn't connect via WiFi. We persevered and got him to correctly configure his printer and I think its still working today. Many on pfm moaned that WiFi and printers just don't work and you had to use 'kludges'.

The blame lies with the printer manufacturers that write such rotten manuals.........

If you want try let us know.

DV

We print a lot at work, often in a rush, and the Samsung mono laser was quite the worst printer we've had. Crap paper handling, jam prone, slow and awfully hard to use with cheap refilled toner cartridges. We couldn't wait to get back to HP's efficient, robust, reliable printers.

I read somewhere that now we've left the EU mono laser printers will be phased out soon

21c91981eddd5b24.jpeg

If you rarely use a scanner, why not use one of these scanning apps on your phone, they are meanwhile really good. I use the one integrated in O365 with excellent results, but there are many out there.

My printer is an ultra-cheap Brother which I got for roughly £50 including toner cassette. Never the slightest problem. AirPrint would have been cool I admit (could have been had for a few more £) but for the three times I would use it per year I guess it’s not a tragedy.

Problems with networked printers can be resolved by using a network connect print hub that presents an ethernet connection and IP address to the network and a usb port to the printer.
Lots cheaper than a new printer.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BFC658Q/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

why would you do this for a printer that is already equipped with a networked capability?

Our HP printer sits quietly on the network and prints when I send stuff to it. It is on a wired network, and I can print to it from desktop machine, from phone via WiFi and from my laptop also WiFi.

They can be a pain and take some effort to set up, getting drivers right etc. But they do work....and almost every problem is software.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The HP universal print driver works with wired and wireless devices, all you need is the IP address of the printer and it sorts the drivers.

Pete

We bought a Xerox B205 last rear for around £100. A little bit of a faf getting wifi working but since then it has been brilliant.

Hi guys, thanks for all of the suggestions so far, looks like HP printers are the ones to go for.

The Samsung is going in the bin shortly, I’ve had it about five years and it’s always been problematic, similar to what Darren said above, paper jams, flaky connections, fussy with after market cartridges etc, it’s a multi function printer but I really only print from it, I can’t AirPrint for example and the NtC touch print thing has never worked there’s also no way that you can connect the printer to the router as it’s USB and wireless only so it really is time to change it now that it requires a new cartridge which is about £35 for a Samsung one.

I’m going to buy just a mono printer not a multifunctional one and probably an HP printer but I did like the look of the Lexmark printer I linked to above it seems to tick all of my boxes except that it’s expensive to print if you are printing a lot (I don’t) and it doesn’t connect to mobile phones except for iPhone and again I only use iPhones as does my family so that’s not a big deal.

Tony

Hi guys, thanks for all of the suggestions so far, looks like HP printers are the ones to go for.

The Samsung is going in the bin shortly, I’ve had it about five years and it’s always been problematic, similar to what Darren said above, paper jams, flaky connections, fussy with after market cartridges etc, it’s a multi function printer but I really only print from it, I can’t AirPrint for example and the NtC touch print thing has never worked there’s also no way that you can connect the printer to the router as it’s USB and wireless only so it really is time to change it now that it requires a new cartridge which is about £35 for a Samsung one.

I’m going to buy just a mono printer not a multifunctional one and probably an HP printer but I did like the look of the Lexmark printer I linked to above it seems to tick all of my boxes except that it’s expensive to print if you are printing a lot (I don’t) and it doesn’t connect to mobile phones except for iPhone and again I only use iPhones as does my family so that’s not a big deal.

Tony
For info I use one of these to connect a Macbook with only USB to an Ethernet port on the router*.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PC0P2DI/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Cheers,

DV

*Some may question why I'd want to do this. When I boot a Macbook with a Windows to go USB SSD that installation doesn't initially have the drivers for the Macs WiFi adapter. Connecting the Mac to the Ethernet port of the router gets Internet access and then forcing a Windows update will download and install any necessary drivers that is required by the Mac hardware. I have Windows 11 running on Mac hardware using this technique.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back