advertisement

Recommend a good socket set

How about this one?

Studley-Toolbox-1.jpg
Don't see any screwdrivers.

What I really need is a good quality set of everyday tools in a sturdy well thought out box. Not the ratty old tools my dad gave me 30 years ago.
If you mean this, look at Halfords, Machine Mart, Screwfix. I recommend a roll cabinet, you know which drawer to open. If you want a cheap option, build your own shadowboard. I have both, I especially like being at the bench and needing a 13mm spanner and I know that it should be hanging on the nail marked "13" . If it turns out to be 14, no problem, it's the nail next door. No rummaging about in a toolbox only to find out it's missing.

This is without doubt one of my most prized possessions because my job would be almost impossible without it, or extremely difficult at least. I only had to add a 7mm socket for jubilee clips but the rest is perfect, the ratchet even has an articulating head for when it gets even more sweary. Electrical tape for scale.

Edit: and yes, some bastards do put 13mm fasteners inside places where you can barely fit a hand, never mind a hand with a tool in it.

Don't see any screwdrivers.

They are called turn screws in this era. I can see at least one. There are pictures of a breakdown of the cabinet tools but I could not find earlier. As has been mentioned, it is a very famous cabinet and a work of a true master.

Halfords Advance. If you can wait, the big sets go for half price very often. Black friday I got mine a few years ago. The plastic box is not that good but the tools are good and the pieces are embossed with their logo. There is a lifetime warranty on each piece and you don't even need your receipt because the logo is visible.

Very good call if you can wait until they are half price.

Sorry to bump this up, but even with very light usage (since I don’t need these things every day, week or even month) my larger ratchet handle lever regularly sticks (requiring a lot of fiddling and more force than should be necessary to un-stick). Is this a fault or am I somehow missing a mechanics’ trick with these things?

I’m sure it has a decent guarantee if it turns out that it’s defective but it could just be me being stupid. So, should the ratchet lever be easy to move or is it possible there’s something I’m not doing?

What make/model of ratchet as you can get rebuild kits for more premium brands?, Can you take the ratchet head apart as a clean and re grease may help.

What make/model of ratchet as you can get rebuild kits for more premium brands?, Can you take the ratchet head apart as a clean and re grease may help.
Bahco. It’s been used barely a dozen times since new. Seems unlikely to need a clean etc. surely? It’s spent most of its time in its box!

Bahco. It’s been used barely a dozen times since new. Seems unlikely to need a clean etc. surely? It’s spent most of its time in its box!
Take it back, it should be perfect. I have one, works perfectly. Bahco are a premium brand, designed to have the crap beaten out of then day in day out by Swedish car mechanics and fitters and still work perfectly, they should last for years if not decades.

Proxxon for me. A bit expensive compared to some of the other choices I had, but it feels like it'll be the last set I ever buy :)

perhaps it just needs a drop of grease on the lever cam, first thing I used to with my ratchets (snap on for 1/2”, facom for 3/8th” & 1/4”) was take them apart and clean/regrease.

King Dick.

Thats what the RAF used to make us use in the 80s, and they were bloody awful. The heads on the spanners were bigger than they needed to be, so in the tight confines of a Tornado’s innards, it became more of a challenge than it should’ve been. The sockets seemed to wear quickly too.

Perhaps they’ve improved.

Drat! Thought this thread was going to give me some useful advice for my long overdue hip replacements!

advertisement

Back