advertisement

Recommend a decent USB Flash/Thumb/Pen drive

twotone

pfm Member
Hi guys, I’m looking for a decent pen drive probably only 16 or 32 gig and maybe 3.0 or above I’m using a 2020 MacBook Air.

I need one for my year end accounts to give to my accountant.

I’ve had a look on Amazon and frankly the amount of one star reviews for these things is shocking, all of the main manufacturers seem to make cheap rubbish that either doesn’t run at spec or are just plain hopeless, the number of reviews that I’ve read about failed or failed usb drives is unreal.

Anyway something decent that won’t become read only or knacker my laptop or set itself on fire or randomly wipe all of the data would be great.

Thanks

Tony

I buy a dozen a time, either as said above Sandisk or Kingston DataTraveler

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/s?k=kingston+32gb&rh=n:430554031&ref=nb_sb_noss

Recommend you buy from Amazon themselves, it shows EU SARL in the basket and not a Marketplace Seller. Fakes/Cheap Knock Offs are rife, same with SD Cards for cameras/dictaphones.

Amazon reviews are flaky too, they often refer to a similar named but totally different product, plus there are reports a lot are bogus.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
As above for pass-arounds or long term storage.
If for my own use of portable and rewriting, I only use the Corsair rubberised jobbies. Never had one fail or managed to damage one.

Never had one fail or managed to damage one.

Never had one fail either, they are all of various 'brands' (never bothered). They are probably all made in the same big factory in Taiwan.

Last edited:
Never had one fail either, they are all of various 'brands' (never bothered). They are probably all made in the same big factory in China.
Taiwan and South Korea make 80% of the worlds semiconductors/chips, China only make 6% cos pf sanctions

The issue with Pen Drives and SD cards isn't a high failure rate (they do fail) but the counterfeiting - pretending to be a big brand and the incorrect reporting of the size - 4GB presenting itself as a 256GB for example, this is achieved by reprogramming the control chip to fool computers and cameras

Forget Amazon, get them from somewhere like MyMemory.
Amazon are by far the easiest company to deal with for faulty/damaged goods and returns I've ever dealt with, used to waste hours battling RMAs. The ultra fast/free next day delivery used to be a USP but the other outfits are catching/have caught up there.

Taiwan and South Korea make 80% of the worlds semiconductors/chips, China only make 6% cos pf sanctions

The issue with Pen Drives and SD cards isn't a high failure rate (they do fail) but the counterfeiting - pretending to be a big brand and the incorrect reporting of the size - 4GB presenting itself as a 256GB for example, this is achieved by reprogramming the control chip to fool computers and cameras

Fair enough, I edit my post.

As above - particularly re. fakes !!!
Also SanDisk or Kingston preferred.

Tend to buy locally now though - Sainsburys or Currys .... Amazon/eBay are just too much friggin hassle nowadays :confused:

As above - particularly re. fakes !!!
Also SanDisk or Kingston preferred.

Tend to buy locally now though - Sainsburys or Currys .... Amazon/eBay are just too much friggin hassle nowadays :confused:
Dead handy if you don’t want to risk Covid and also live way out of town though.

i know of a fake SanDisk USB memory stick, that was almost indistinguishable from the real thing. But the sting in the tail was that the stick came preloaded with an interesting data capture payload.

Luckily (and it was was good luck) the stick was put in a Linux machine which was (on this occasion) unaffected by the Windows executable. It was advertised, packaged and purchased as a 128Gb stick but it only had 32Gb capacity.

advertisement

Back