advertisement

Recent ttsetup for max £500.

omega3

pfm Member
I have Thorens TD150/2 with Linn Basik plus arm and Ortofon cartridge - all built into handcrafted wooden plinth.

45rpm not available without hassle.

Should I stick with this, or can I get a more recent setup (new/second hand) for max £500?

Thanks for input.
I think I paid £400 for the current setup.

I know nothing much about the modern items

I had my last TD-150/2 1970-2010.
Is it like trading in a TR-4 for a 2009 Ford Focus?

defo stick

nothing wrong with a TD150

(TD160 Super here)

Thanks for input.
I think I paid £400 for the current setup.

I know nothing much about the modern items

I had my last TD-150/2 1970-2010.
Is it like trading in a TR-4 for a 2009 Ford Focus?

YOu might get a "new car feel" but don't necessarily expect better sound.

Well, thanks David.
Two senior members going for stick!

Another thing I am not happy about with current setup is that when playing the hifi setup disc (that £25 allegedly highly-regarded one), I cannot get the the arm to play at its best with the recommended settings.
However, if I go a bit heavier, everything sounds great.
I smell a rat with these idealistic, possibly out of reach, recommendations.
Anyone else find that?
I have used spirit levels and digital weighing scale and am quite scientific/practical.

I have a TD150 with a Rega arm and it is better than most of the other decks I've had over the last few years, including a Technics SL1200, The AR turntable, a Lenco B55, a Transtrotor upgraded Rega P2, both a Pro-ject Debut III and their Xpression.

Yes, there is better, such as an LP12, but you're looking at spending an awful lot more. If anything you could think about putting a better arm on the deck. Nothing wrong with the Basik, but doesn't compare with an RB300, for example, which was originally in the same price bracket.

P.S I always set the VTF at the high end of the scale.

Setting the VTF too low will cause just as much if not more damage than setting it too high.

Find the recommended settings for your cartridge and then adjust slightly until you find the sound you like.

You might spend a few quid getting the deck overhauled, they enjoy the occasional bit of lubrication, rebalancing of the springs etc. I bought a 150 about 40 years ago, and a friend still uses it. Nice bit of engineering (and although you could get murdered on this forum for saying so.I always prefered its simplicity to the noisy klunkiness of the Garrards.)
If you ever get the 'upgrade' urge, a better arm and cartridge would be a more economic improvement than changing decks....the Thorens standard of engineering would cost quite a lot in 2012.

advertisement

Back