advertisement

Recent Sky broadband issue!

wow&flutter

pfm Member
I changed to Sky Fibre broadband around 4 months ago and it has been pretty much as advertised with consistent speeds and service. The have been occasional service updates usually around 2am but normal service resumes a few hours later and my only device (iPad air) reconnects automatically, so when I turn on the iPad I can go straight into Safari.

This week however was different. The connection went down around 2am I think on Tuesday but the iPad and router showed “not connected” the following morning.
My Sky router shows all three green lights and is listed in the WiFi settings on the iPad but I have to manually reconnect it in WiFi settings and it stays connected all day.

Is it something in my device settings or do you think the Sky update now has the devices disconnecting after a few hours of not being used?

The iPad and router are about 2m apart and in direct line of sight.

Try on ipad going to settings/wifi then touch the blue i next to your router name. Make sure auto connect is on. If it already is then click on forget this network and then re log into that network to refresh the connection.

Might be worth checking other devices, sometimes when my connection drops out the reconnection is to the inverter for my solar panels.

Not much use if you want the internet.

The other one was daughter's TV or speaker, everything works better now she's bought her house.

You should check the DHCP lease time in the router. For your use a minimum of 24 hours would be suitable.

When your device requests an IP address using DHCP it is loaned (leased) to you for a set time and after that you have to re-request a new IP address. From what you say above this seems to be what is happening. This leasing is to allow a large number of visitors to a WiFi hotspot (such as when you visit a coffee shop etc) and is set to a short time so that the IP address becomes available for another visitor.

Have fun,

DV

advertisement

Back