advertisement

Recent purchases

Arrived this morning, a job lot of hatOLOGY CDs bought on the cheap:

hatOLOGY 508 / Jimmy Giuffre & André Jaume - Momentum, Willisau 1988
hatOLOGY 510 / Burkhard Beins, Martin Pfleiderer & Peter Niklas Wilson - Yarbles
hatOLOGY 515 / Richard Grossman Trio - Even Your Ears
hatOLOGY 516 / Matthew Shipp Trio - The Multiplication Table
hatOLOGY 517 / Billy Bang & Dennis Charles - Bangception, Willisau 1982
hatOLOGY 518 / Lee Konitz & Martial Solal - Star Eyes, Hamburg 1983
hatOLOGY 519 / Lauren Newton - Filigree
hatOLOGY 520 / Bernd Konrad Hans Koller Unit with Didier Lockwood - Phonolith
hatOLOGY 522 / Matthew Shipp Horn Quartet - Strata
hatOLOGY 524 / Rajesh Mehta Solos & Duos Featuring Paul Lovens - Orka
hatOLOGY 525 / Joe Maneri Quartet - Tenderly
hatOLOGY 526 / G. Gregorio, M. Gustafsson & K. Nordeson - Background Music
hatOLOGY 527 / Ran Blake - Something To Live For
hatOLOGY 529 / Mat Maneri Trio - So What?
hatOLOGY 530 / Matthew Shipp Duo with Mat Maneri - Gravitational Systems
hatOLOGY 531 / Guillermo Gregorio Trio - Red Cube(d)
hatOLOGY 534 / Ellery Eskelin & Han Bennink - Dissonant Characters
hatOLOGY 537 / Jon Lloyd - Four And Five
hatOLOGY 538 / Sven-Åke Johansson - Six Little Pieces For Quintet
hatOLOGY 541 / Richard Grossman Trio - Where The Sky Ended
hatOLOGY 542 / Dave Douglas' Tiny Bell Trio - Constellations
hatOLOGY 543 / Franz Koglmann & Lee Konitz - We Thought About Duke
hatOLOGY 544 / Joe McPhee - Tenor & Fallen Angels
hatOLOGY 546 / Steve Lacy - Clinkers
hatOLOGY 547 / Lee Konitz, Don Friedman & Attila Zoller - Thingin
hatOLOGY 548 / Simon Nabatov Trio - Sneak Preview
hatOLOGY 549 / Matthew Shipp Trio - Prism

-- Ian

Won't have a chance to listen to any of it until the weekend, but I'm guessing the Lacy (which is solo, usually a good sign with Lacy), Ran Blake, Billy Bang, and Matthew Shipp will be good.

I've decided to adopt a non-strategic approach - just shuffle the pack and play them in the order they come out...

-- Ian

Nurse With Wound - Salt Marie Celeste

I haven't heard any of Steve Stapleton/NWW's stuff since the mid-80s and picked up this recent album on a friend's recommendation.

One long electronic piece (around an hour) inspired by the story of the discovery of a derelict ship in the 19th Century. Unlike most of this kind of stuff, this doesn't start quiet and simply get progressively louder, but is much more measured than that. A repeating electronic wave is gradually given texture with the addition of wood creaks, sighs and sundry electronic sounds. The result is surprisingly moving.

Really very good indeed. Must explore some more of Stapleton's recent output.

-- Ian

In the absence of anyone else joining in, today's purchases.

CD:

Love, Forever Changes Concert. The classic album, recorded live on Arthur Lee's comeback tour, at the Royal Festival Hall. Lee is the only remaining member, but this is still a great gig. "You Set the Scene" is particularly ace, and Lee is surprisingly focused given his bonkers reputation. Very good, has a second CD of videos etc.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk, I, Eye, Aye. The great man recorded live at Montreux in 1972. One of the better later Kirks, I think. What a genius player he was.

John Zorn, Naked City Live at the Knitting Factory, 1989. Bloody brilliant.

John Zorn, Masada Live in Jerusalem. Ditto. I am utterly obsessed with Zorn at the moment.

Vinyl:

Manitoba, Up in Flames. Don't know much about this, and haven't heard it yet, but it's on Leaf so it's probably good.

The Silver Mt. Zion, This is Our Punk Rock, Thee Rusted Satellites Gather and Sing. Fab title, as always, from Godspeed You Black Emperor side-group, this time with a choir. I have high hopes for this, although GYBE offshoots never end up being as good as the real thing. Beautifully packaged.

-- Ian

Alex Kid - Mint
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (Re-Release)
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
Static - Flavor Has No Name

All vinyl :)

Young Marble Giants – Salad Days cd
M83 – Run Into Flowers 12" (This could be the beginning of a shoegazer revival!!)
Iannis Xenakis – Persepolis Remixes Cheap double CDR promopack with proper sleeve. An incredible record!! First cd is an hour long piece by Xenakis, 2nd cd is remixes by the likes of Otomo Yoshide, Ryoji Ikeda, Merzbow etc.
Glorious drones and noise!

Continental Drifts, "Sounds From the Acoustic Ground - Remixed"

Wacky club remixes of ethnic folk-music, with track titles to match (examples: "Camelherder Skank", "Mr. Potato-head goes to Hardware Village").

Exercises both your toes and your sense of humor. Fun.

Wonder what will happen if I keep this in the BGM pile while we are designing our next product :)

jonathan carr

On CD:

Arthur Blythe, Exhale. Recent album from under-recorded alto player. Heavy Trane influence (including covers of "Cousin Mary" and "Equinox", and a very A Love Supreme-esque suite). Beautful tone, very sweet with a world-worn sensibility. I like this.

On vinyl:

Scorces, Vivre Avec la Bete. Need to hear this again. Acoustic guitar and wailing. Self-indulgent was my first thought.

Charles Mingus, Mingus at the Bohemia. Early Mingus (first recorded live date as leader, I believe). Inessential, but it's Mingus, so that doesn't matter at all.

Cecil McBee, Alternate Spaces. Free bass player with good band, never really comes alive.

Circle, Paris Concert. Odd super-group (Anthony Braxton, Chick Corea, Dave Holland, Barry Altschul). Holland and Altschul do the best things on this, Braxton seems bored, and Corea is too far gone down the road to fusion hell, and seems to have forgotten what a good player he is.

-- Ian

Originally posted by GRC
Us older farts have been buying stuff like:-
Deep Sky Divers - The New Fast Lane
Deep Sky Divers - Highlands & Skylands

Very chillled / ambient music - zip over to their web site and try for yourself. Acquired taste for some.

Comments welcome, along with other recommendations.
Thanks for pointing these out. I ordered both, since I have quite a lot of dark ambient, electronica, etc. I must say I found them uncomfortably close to new age, though they might grow on me. Most of the tracks are in a major key, and keyboards or synthesized piano feature a lot, with simplish harmonies. I kept wanting something darker or bleaker. Must be a character flaw of mine :)

Originally posted by sideshowbob
Nurse With Wound - Salt Marie Celeste ... One long electronic piece (around an hour) inspired by the story of the discovery of a derelict ship in the 19th Century. Unlike most of this kind of stuff, this doesn't start quiet and simply get progressively louder, but is much more measured than that. A repeating electronic wave is gradually given texture with the addition of wood creaks, sighs and sundry electronic sounds. The result is surprisingly moving.

Really very good indeed. Must explore some more of Stapleton's recent output.

-- Ian
I got this based on your comments. I enjoyed it quite a lot and it will fit quite well with my Ambient/dark ambient/beatless ambient/electronica/experimental section :). I don't know why I have never bought NWW before, except that possibly I thought it was a lot more extreme, based on articles etc in The Wire magazine. An album of one track is extreme in one sense, but it can be read to, or treated as a secondary experience, in the true spirit of ambient. Did you or anyone get round to exploring more of his work?

Originally posted by SteveC
Thanks for pointing these out. I ordered both, since I have quite a lot of dark ambient, electronica, etc. I must say I found them uncomfortably close to new age, though they might grow on me. Most of the tracks are in a major key, and keyboards or synthesized piano feature a lot, with simplish harmonies. I kept wanting something darker or bleaker. Must be a character flaw of mine :)
Try Deep Listening by Pauline Oliveros, it's beautiful and not naff at all. There's a 10 min track on http://www.epitonic.com you can download for free,
Fra ditt eget hjemland kan du prøve Origami eller Sketch...

Haven't got round to buying any more NWW yet, but next on the list are Rock and Roll Station and Soliliquy for Lilith, both of which come highly recommended by the same person who recommended me Salt Marie Celeste.

Early NWW is quite a bit different, more typically "industrial", but some of it is still good.

-- Ian

A smash and grab raid in Notting Hill yesterday yielded:

On vinyl:

Archie Shepp, Ballads For Trane. 1977 recording of one of my favourite post-Trane tenor players. He's lost a lot of his fire by this point (and by the early 80s had lost his tone as well, a real tragedy), but he still has a wonderfully muscular take on ballad playing. Great recording, too.

Archie Shepp, Live at the Panafrican Festival. 1969, Algiers. Very much of its time, but still fierce and uncompromising. Dreadful recording.

Archie Shepp, A Sea of Faces. 1975, yet to hear this, but there's some great players on it (Dave Burrell, Beaver Harris, Cameron Brown).

Archie Shepp and Horace Parlan, Trouble in Mind. Some of Shepp's best recent records have been duo sessions with pianists (including a good one with Mal Waldron, Billie Holliday's last pianist, playing mostly Billie tunes). This is a really nice album of blues standards, played pretty straight.

Pelt, Keyhole II. Live recording from 2001, with the helpful sleeve note "Play at 45 or 33 rpm". Not listened to this yet.

Sunburned Hand of the Man, The Trickle Down Theory of Lord Knows What. Also yet to play this, have high hopes based on an article in a recent issue of The Wire. (Note to space cadet - the nervous geek behind the counter in Rough Trade, who's clearly into this stuff, told me that (a) Pelt have a new studio album out next month which is, in his word, "brilliant"; and (b) Sunburned Hand of the Man are playing in London soon, supporting Julian Cope at the Lyric Hammersmith, which should be a fun evening).

On CD:

Art Ensemble of Chicago, Tribute to Lester. The surviving members of the AEC make their first record for some time, an elegy for their departed bandmate, Lester Bowie. Not a classic AEC record, but some lovely moments, and essential for any Art Ensemble fan, I would think.

Smog, Wild Love. Early recordings, recently reissued. I like Smog more and more, must be old age.

Peter Brotzmann, Aoyama Crows. The Die Like A Dog Quartet (Brotzmann, William Parker, Hamid Drake, Toshinori Kondo) do what they do best, i.e., blow the f**king roof off the sucker. Top quality modern free music.

And, because no day is complete without more Zorn:

John Zorn, Ganryu Island. Duo album on which Zorn plays various reed instruments, mostly barely audibly, gassy and farty noises in the background, whilst Japanese shamisen (3-stringed instrument) maestro makes deranged plinking noises over the top. Endearingly loopy, I may take this to the Heathrow show and see if I can clear some of the larger rooms with it.

John Zorn/Masada String Ensembles, Bar Kokhba. Various combinations of string and reed players play some of Zorn's Masada tunes. Intensely beautiful. The man's a stone-cold genius I tells yer.

-- Ian

Originally posted by space cadet
Try Deep Listening by Pauline Oliveros, it's beautiful and not naff at all. There's a 10 min track on http://www.epitonic.com you can download for free,
Yeah, that's someone else I really should have in the collection :) (Takk for forslaget.) Those two I should look into too, my biggest favourite is Geir Jensen's Biosphere.

Ian: the NWW Soliloquy went out of print but there's a new edition at http://www.musicnonstop.co.uk/store/erol.html

Originally posted by space cadet
Had a listen to this... hmmm not bad, but anyone who likes this *really* want to give Perotin a good listen, in particular "Viderunt Omnes" as performed by any one of a number of ensembles including Hillier, Gilles Binchois or Hilliard.

Absolutely. I struck me quite a while back how minimalists like Reich and Pärt were in a way looping round back to the origins of harmony from people like as you say Perotin and Guillaume de Machaut. Absolutely haunting.

Originally posted by SteveC
Absolutely. I struck me quite a while back how minimalists like Reich and Pärt were in a way looping round back to the origins of harmony from people like as you say Perotin and Guillaume de Machaut. Absolutely haunting.
Good to see another fan of early music :D Paul Hillier seems to be the link between modern (Aarvo Part) and ancient (Perotin, Machaut, Leonin etc).
A friend of mine claims that Reich et al nicked a lot of their ideas from these people . Not sure about that, but they certainly were into minimalism at least a thousand years before anyone the West.

Originally posted by joel
Good to see another fan of early music :D Paul Hillier seems to be the link between modern (Aarvo Part) and ancient (Perotin, Machaut, Leonin etc).
A friend of mine claims that Reich et al nicked a lot of their ideas from these people . Not sure about that, but they certainly were into minimalism at least a thousand years before anyone the West.
Maybe they were minimalists because maximalism hadn't been invented yet :).

While on the epitonic website I came across some beautiful minimal folkmusic from my adopted home land .Music of Norway. Well worth a click at least.

Well to test out the link theory I just ordered from amazon.co.uk but the estimated delivery is 3 to 5 weeks :-( From the description, maybe the link is to Reich's Clapping Music, which is early, though I prefer that end to the rhythmic treatment of spoken samples in his more recent work.

Actually I prefer the middle Reich, like Desert Music, Music for 18 musicians, ...Marimbas, ...Small Ensemble, etc. Same with Pärt, Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten being one of my favourites.

The link to the Oliveros was very useful - seems a good website, but their link to shop quoted $8.50 for delivery of a CD. Can anyone recommend a good European webshop for that kind of music? A good test would be whether it stocks Pauline Oliveros, Negativland and Ingram Marshall

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back