advertisement

Recent purchases

Sample 1 is a Beastie Boys sample from Root Down, and I know the 2nd and 3rd samples from somewhere, but the one that is really bugging me is loop 2. I am guessing its from a Native Tongues tune.

I'll get back to you.

Does the recent CD, (How the west was won) have all the music from the DVD, I really want it in a more conventional audio format now, I'm sure it will be way better than my cheap DVD?

Andy,

How the West was Won was taken from two shows in California in 1972. None of the material on the CD appears on the DVD - the majority of which covers three shows in the UK. How the West.... is the first live album to be recommended in Stereophile magazine - the latest issue (August 2003)

Klaatu

...is John Paul Jones. I have one of his solo projects -Zooma - well recommended for on the structural damage front. Some pretty good music on it as well...

Wow. I've bought some shite in the last few years, I admit it. Zooma is the only disk I've been so totally unable to get on with I took it back to the store for a refund. Selectadisk were really good about it. I really wanted to like it, fan of bass playing, fan of led zep, generally like JPJ's playing, Bass Player magazine had great things to say about it (clearly a total lack of journalistic bias there!), I get on alright with prog rock eg King Crimson. Still scratching my head about that one.

ho hum.

Rico

Some new music this week includes
Alfons el Magnanim - Capella de Ministrers More early music on the Spanish Naive label. Has lots of bounce and life does this one, something early music needs to work its peculiar magic.
La tradition du Hejaz - Mohammed Aman it's not every day that I run across an album of traditional Saudi tunes. Interesting stuff if you like Arab music: incredible melismas, nice plinquey Ud and some very interesting perc. As usual with the Ocora lable, great liner notes that are detailed yet still accessible to stupid gits like me. This is not the place to begin your Arab music indoctrination, though...
That would probably be...
Hemavaz - Kardes Turkuler except they are Turkish, not Arab. What to say about this amazing band? They're amazing, for a start. Deep percussion and intricate vocal work melded into a deeply layered seamlessly pulsating whole. Blinding, passionate pop music for people who like percussion, polyphony and polyrhythm. Does sometimes veer off towards the new age, without ever falling into that abyss,
River - Nitin Sawhney hmmm. Jury still out on this one.
Don't know why - Harold Mabern Trio At last a really good album on the Japanese "Venus" label. Driving swing in a hard bop stylee. Recording is the usual OTT Venus with absolutely humungous bass and cor blimey drums. Works on this album, doesn't on many others. Iffy J-L Sieff cover is par for the series. One to get IMO.
Something or other - Tokyo Gakuso Still trying to work out the reading for this album of Gagaku music by the leading ensemble of the moment. A, er, acquired taste, but for the half dozen people I can think of who would like this kind of thing, this is the one to get. Astonoshing recording brought to us by those nice people at King Records.
Guinea: Baga Rhythms and songs - Mohamed Bangoura High quality recording of Guinean master percussionist Mohamed Bangoura going through his paces. Excellent stuff that will get a lot more listening.
Yoruba Drums from Benin - va A very serious & academic CD from Smithsonian Folkways (lost me on page 2 of the notes I'm afriad) that contains a load of absolutely storming drumming. Benin Yoruba bata and dundun drums are rather higher tuned than their earthshaking Nigerian Yoruba counterparts. Cuban music starts here...
Master of percussion - va Solid compilation on the French "Follow Me" label featuring some of the biggest names in West African drumming: Guem, Doudou Ndiaye Rose, Les Tambours de Brazza, Sungalo Coulibaly. Good place to start listening to the drum bands. No notes worth talking about, which is a shame.
+a bunch of perfect condition NOS Nonsuch Explorer vinyl from the late 70s. Some superb music - Tuareg medicinal chants, Hausa street music etc. Solid recordings and Stephen Jay's usual excellent notes.
I also picked up an Improv Shakuhachi/piano/percussion trio LP Eternal Echoes - Hozan Yamamoto from '79, which is quite frankly brilliant. This along with some sublime gagaku and Noh on vinyl will soon be on it's way to a new home. I'll leave it to the new owner to write the reviews.

I've just got Hollywood Town Hall again (last copy went missing some time ago) and it's even better than I remember, almost up to Sound of Lies status. It's prompted me to order the new one on vinyl from diverse.

Originally posted by timH
I've just got Hollywood Town Hall again (last copy went missing some time ago) and it's even better than I remember, almost up to Sound of Lies status. It's prompted me to order the new one on vinyl from diverse.
Here's me thinking Tomorrow the Green Grass was their best... I don't rate the new one at all, they sound like crowded house. Even my wife who really like's them ( I just dabble) wasn't too impressed.

Nice to know there's at least two other Jayhawks fans on PFM. Tomorrow the Green Grass is for sure a good one - Miss Williams' Guitar blows out the cobwebs regularly, but so does Sixteen Down (...Madeleine breathe...).

Anyway I might as well give the new one a try - must be better than Smile mustn't it?

Today, I have been mostly buying...

on CD:

John Zorn, Kristallnacht

on vinyl:

Yusef Lateef, Into Something
Califone, Quicksand
Pharoah Sanders, Live 1982
Roland Kirk, You Did It, You Did It
David Murray, The Hill
John Handy, Projections

-- Ian

Is the Califone album any good Sideshowbob? It's one on my endless list of sounds interesting might give a go's...
I've just placed an order from the US, more psychedelic drony free-folkiness

On vinyl
Charalambides – IN CR EA SE dbl lp
Scorces – Vivre avec la bete lp
Son of Earth Flesh on Bone /Double Leopards – split lp
Tower Recordings – Present the Transfiguration... 7"

Cd
Dredd Foole and the Din –_The whys of Fire

All from http://www.eclipse-records.com

As for the Jayhawks' Smile being worse than Rainy Day, don't be so sure...

Only given it one listen so far, and it's OK, but not startlingly different from what loads of other people are doing.

I see you've been reading the Wire as well, I've got plans to get hold of some Scorces/Tower Recordings.

BTW, finally got my act together and some Ayler CDs should be on the way to you in the next day or two.

-- Ian

Zep DVD - it's one of those you can dip into and watch a few bits and then come back to later (can't quite seem to spot myself in the Knebworth crowd abut 3/4 mile back from the stage though). You can just feel the chemistry in the band (if not Pagey's veins!).
When I was at Uni, a flatmate had a John Paul Jones album, not Zooma. I think it might've been a film score (but I might be confusing it with a Jimmy Page Deathwish soundtrack?). Anyway, it was quite good.
I'm just listening to Deep Sky Divers via the web - not sure if it's my thing.
I've just got the Evanescence CD - quite listenable. Also Badfinger - Magic Christian Music (1970? including some songs from a Ringo Starr movie, one written by Paul McCartney).

Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring

This was the 2nd time I bought that album. The first copy I bought about 12 years ago; though it is still in an okayish condition I could not resist the 180gr version :)

Jane's Addicition - Strays

"Just Because" really makes my day, had to buy it.

Only buying CDs now (I know its not that flat, but it is music here not the transmission medium!), also got some back catalogue to catch up with the vinyle that I've sold.

Last couple of weeks

Rainbow- Catch the Rainbow (Greatest)
Larry Carlton - Discovery
Larry Carlton - Renegrade Gentleman
Larry Carlton - Friends
Larry Carlton - The Gift
Shawn Mullins - Souls Core
Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians - Shooting Rubber Bands at the Stars
Jimmy Page - Hip Young Guitar Slinger
Bad Company - Straight Shooter
Deep Purple - Made in Japan (remastered + encores)
String - Bring on the Night
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Greatest Hits
Norah Jones - that first album, its in the car so I can't remember the title!!!
Led Zeppelin - DVD

and I've just bought a complete audio-visual library of over 600CDs from classical, pop, rock, jazz to sound effects. I don't know whats in it yet, pick it up on Thursday, but over 450 hours of music!!

Mr Perceptive

Originally posted by sideshowbob
Only given it one listen so far, and it's OK, but not startlingly different from what loads of other people are doing.

I see you've been reading the Wire as well, I've got plans to get hold of some Scorces/Tower Recordings.

BTW, finally got my act together and some Ayler CDs should be on the way to you in the next day or two.

-- Ian

Thanks, Califone downgraded to pick up if I see it cheap.

Yep, read Wire... I've already got a few things by the 'New Weird Americans' but it sure inspired me to get some more. 'A Pebble in Thousands of Unmapped Revolutions' by Double Leopards is incredible btw (just in case you place an Eclipse order).

Look forward to the Aylers, listened to John and Ali's Interstellar Space this evening, never thought just sax and drums could fill so much space, incredible stuff (as for being the greatest recording ever... much too soon to say...).

Originally posted by space cadet
listened to John and Ali's Interstellar Space this evening, never thought just sax and drums could fill so much space, incredible stuff (as for being the greatest recording ever... much too soon to say...).

Well, it may not be the greatest record ever, but it's certainly my favourite record, and has been for a few years (a rare consistency for me). It's being challenged at the moment by Ayler's Nuits de la Fondation Maeght (in the package on its way to you) and my memory of Zorn's Electric Masada at the Barbican a few weeks ago, which has had a pretty profound impact on me (not least, frantically buying everything by him that I don't already have). My mind is like, er, blown.

-- Ian

advertisement

Back