dave charlton

pfm member
some stringy stuff,

brokeback : field recordings from the cook county table [thrill jockey]
julian bream : popular classics for spanish guitar [RCA VICTOR]
bailey / lewis / zorn : yankees [OAO celluloid]
string trio of new york : area code 212 [black saint]
bartok : string quartet no. 3 - the julliard string quartet [CBS]

acoustic and six string bass meanderings from Brokeback, Bream's virtuosity shines through tape hiss, chamber improv from Bailey and co., STONY avant swing and edge of seat Bartok completed a quick 'A' side only, high volume session this afternoon. Needed it.

:p dave :p

My guitar tutor tells me I should dig out Bream playing between about '75 and '85 when he was appparently in his prime, his use of pontacello said to be unrivalled.

Paul

the Bream album was recorded live

here in '64. What comes across is the shear physicallity in his playing. Conversely though on 'Fandanguillo' he creates an eerie sound by gently tapping the body of the guitar causing the strings to resonate.

dave

Dave, if you mean he will have used his left hand on different frets for different notes then this sounds like harmonics.

On my 40th recently I decided to finally take up playing an instrument, seemed crazy to love music for years but not understand it. Always thought I would choose piano but had this light bulb brainwave to take up guitar, my other love for years.

A few reasons, I want to understand the structure of music better by playing, be able to read music and understand when I hear guitar who is actually good and at what exactly. More practical for my domestic set up, co-ordinating the hands on piano I would find difficult. Anyway, I'm five weeks in now....

I am lucky to have a tutor who played with Bream, Paco de Lucia, studied right-hand technique in Spain for five years, performs regularly, spends hours each day teaching or in the studio and has recorded. It is just incredible to mention any music of any style and immediately have a burst played back fast, accurately, with great feel, timing, personal interpretation and a variety of techniques.

I played a harmonic for the first time on Saturday. When I first saw a few (quickly on different parts of the fret!) I too was stunned. Even more so to see a guitar tuned on harmonics.

Pontacello (don't know if it's spelt correctly) is the right hand playing right up to the bridge for a very defined tone as opposed to over the sound box or over the high frets where the sound is sweeter. Amazing to start taking these things in.

(btw I'm left-handed but comments above, written music, guitar examples and that your tutor teaches you are expressed for right-handers for consistency and us lefties then mentally switch it all).

I have too little (classical and flamenco) guitar music on vinyl and CD and am now on the hunt.

Enjoy!

Paul

...with Bream? I like acoustic guitar in all its many applications, yet don't think I have any Bream in my collection. Any recommendations (vinyl, as ever, is best)

jtc

Originally posted by Paul L

I have too little (classical and flamenco) guitar music on vinyl and CD and am now on the hunt.
www.flamenco-world.com are reliable, at least they have been the couple of times I've made purchases from them.
CDs only, but most of the recent stuff is on CD only. And no, my sixties and seventies Flamenco LPs are not for sale!

Paul,

Did a search on Fandanguillo and found this.
click on the link Turina - FandanguilloLIVE(1.38)800k and you should get the opening with percussive sounds.

John (jtc)

I would'nt know where to start with solo gutar stuff but I can recommend David Sylvian's recently released Blemish. A beautiful mix of his own half sung / half spoken vocal with plenty of gentle guitar reverb and subtle electronics. Improv giant Derek Bailey features on a couple of tracks. Recorded by himself and half speed mastered the results for once live up to the term stunning. Limited vinyl run of 2000, I got mine mail-order from Piccadilly Records in Manchester but saw it the other week in Fopp in Sheffield.

:) happy listening :)
dave

advertisement

Back