advertisement

Recent Experiences Demoing Rega Kyte

Scotchegg

pfm Member
Hi everyone, recently I’ve been modernising my system a bit by adding a Bluesound Node to what was predominantly a modest, turntable based system and I felt like it was probably worth it to upgrade my speakers as I was running a friends Dali Spektor 2 on a loan after my vintage B&Ws starting developing faults. My budget was around £500 and I ended up demoing a couple of pairs at home, the B&W 607 S2 Anniversary and the new Rega Kyte. Since I could find almost no info about the Kyte's online, I thought I’d sign up to the forum and give my own experiences with them for anyone considering a demo in the future.

As I said, my setup is fairly modest:
Bluesound Node 2021
Rega Brio-R
Nad 533 Turntable with upgraded 12mm Glass Platter
Audio Technica VM95-Shibata Stylus
QED XT25 cables

I won’t make any direct comparisons of the Kyte’s to the 607’s at the risk of annoying too many people with my first post, but I’ll just say that I didn’t really like them so much. If it had been a shootout in terms of build quality and overall beauty, the B&W’s would have been way up there, they look and feel fantastic, but the sound was not for me. Me and my partner, who is very much not into hi-fi, both came to the same conclusion very quickly, that the B&W’s were just too sharp in the top end. I work as a podcaster and when we were discussing the sound, I used the analogy that if I had been producing an episode and it sounded like the B&W sound, I would be running a De-esser on it to try and tame some of the aggressive sibilances. It’s not a perfect analogy for sure, but maybe it helps explain my thoughts on them overall.

So anyway, back to the Kytes. We may as well get it out of the way early, I really hate their look. Definitely, this is a polarising element to these speakers, as my good friend said completely the opposite and he instantly began swooning over them, saying he loved the modern, discreet and efficient vibes they gave off. I think they look a bit like oversized desktop PC speakers designed by some odd soviet, modernist, but each to his own. The build quality, however, is totally top-notch when you actually look at them up close and the detailing around the tweeters and drivers does give them a more higher-end look that does belie the fact that they are essentially plastic boxes. Setting them up is a bit odd as they tilt backward on my stands, which I found odd and I wasn't sure if I should tilt them forwards to make them fire vertical or not. I experimented with both and ended up tilting them forwards for the most part and I eventually settled on that. I didn't toe them in at all and just faced them straight forward.

Straight off the bat, I'll say that after plugging them in, they instantly brought a smile to my face and I guess that is really the most important thing. It’s a real cliche thing to hear in a speaker review, but the sound, to me, was just good fun. They really excelled in bringing out the detail in the mids and gave just enough bottom end to make you feel like there was weight to it. The top end was detailed, but really smooth and overall felt very well rounded as a whole. Again, when discussing them with my partner, we both felt that they were a really balanced, full sound that felt easy and somehow comfortable to listen to. They drag you into the music really quickly and forced me to stop being so analytical all the time, as you tend to be when demoing new equipment, and just enjoy what was being played.

I listen to all sorts of music really was jumping from jazz to classical to 80s synthwave, 60s psych and everything in between. Generally speaking, vocals and particularly, jazz drums and wind instruments that are always really well produced, were at that lovely level that just forces you to sit back and appreciate the depth and clarity of what you are hearing. It’s when I heard a drumstick ripping on a hi-hat and could pick out the tell-tale click of the plastic tip that I knew the speaker was doing a bang up job. Being less analytical, I listened to these for hours and constantly felt surprised at new details I was hearing and of how much fun I was having just enjoying the music. I know I said I didn’t want to make any direct comparison between the Kyte and the 607’s but I’ll make just one; where I thought that the 607’s offered up very scooped mids, focusing instead on the top and bottom end, the Kyte’s were completely the opposite and felt very even across various tracks and genres. I don’t have any way to test any of this and I don’t know how true any of it is on an objective, scientific level, but to me, the best way to describe the Kyte’s is balanced but not neutral. They have a lovely, warm sound that feels complete and throws up a really pushing, rhythmic pace to the music. There doesn’t really feel like there are any large scoops or peaks anywhere or any particular emphasis on any one element across the board. Maybe some people might feel them a bit authoritarian in that respect, but I never got that impression. Despite the fact that they don’t thump bass, or cut with razor sharp top end, they remain buckets of fun and apply plenty of drive and detail.

If I have to levy any criticism, I’ll say that I didn’t feel like they are the most open speaker and at times I wish they gave the music a bit more space, but I wouldn’t say the image was lacking at the same time. It was only that I had a hankering for a touch more air in the sound at times during busy tracks, if that makes sense. To be honest, I wondered if I might just be expecting a bit too much out of my system here.

Anyway, that’s my feelings on the Kyte after three days demoing them this weekend. I suppose I should say whether or not I bought them… I absolutely did and I didn’t feel bad about spanking more money on hi-fi one bit! If you have any questions about them, let me know. I’m maybe not the most accomplished audiophile in terms of my descriptions, but I’ll do my best.

Great first post, I was very impressed with the new kytes recently but only heard them in a record shop, so not the ideal environment, I'd try tilting them back as designed (and indeed running them in) as I think this may give a little more 'air' to their performance.

Thanks for sharing your impressions, very informative!

I have to say nearly everything about your description fits what I'm looking for in a speaker. Like yourself, I listen to a variety of genres, from rock/pop to jazz and classical.

How big is your listening space? Do you think the low end on these would be enough for a small room (4 x 3 m)? I'm not a bass head, mind you — I just need enough of it to provide the necessary foundation and kick to the music. My room is small so I'd much prefer a tight, fast musical bass - one that is easier to control (the last thing I want is a lot of overbloated, boomy one-note bass).
Also, how far from the front wall did you find them sounding their best? Are they finicky in that regard?

great write up !!! very sensitive to b&w owners !!!! I actually run 2 pairs of the 607s2 . when i first got them i was impressed with the build quality at 450 quid . they sounded nice with vocals but as you say in some settings they can be a bit bright
however we have a pair with a fm tuner and class T amp and sounds mighty fine . detailed and smooth . the room is very damped . also use a pair in AV system and there too they are fine
i did demo a pair of 606s2 anniversary [ 600 quid] at a dealer against a amphion argon one and that did show up very much the idiosyncracies of the 606 s2 . there was no contest !!! the amphion one walked all over them in being natural and just about 3 times better !!!

ernie finds them comfortable too :D
P1070348 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Great first post, I was very impressed with the new kytes recently but only heard them in a record shop, so not the ideal environment, I'd try tilting them back as designed (and indeed running them in) as I think this may give a little more 'air' to their performance.

Thanks, I'll give them a go and see how they work. I gotta admit, the tilting design did throw me a bit.

Thanks for sharing your impressions, very informative!

I have to say nearly everything about your description fits what I'm looking for in a speaker. Like yourself, I listen to a variety of genres, from rock/pop to jazz and classical.

How big is your listening space? Do you think the low end on these would be enough for a small room (4 x 3 m)? I'm not a bass head, mind you — I just need enough of it to provide the necessary foundation and kick to the music. My room is small so I'd much prefer a tight, fast musical bass - one that is easier to control (the last thing I want is a lot of overbloated, boomy one-note bass).
Also, how far from the front wall did you find them sounding their best? Are they finicky in that regard?

My room is about the same size and they fill it nicely. The 607's definitely had more oomph to me, but the Kytes are definitely not shy in that regard. I didn't find them to boom, but I played some dub and a bit of wu tang etc. things of that nature, and they were not lacking! I moved them around a bit, but my space dictates where they go to quite a degree so I didn't move them about too much. I have them set up about 20cm from the wall though and I felt like that was plenty and they could probably go quite a bit closer if needed.

great write up !!! very sensitive to b&w owners !!!! I actually run 2 pairs of the 607s2 . when i first got them i was impressed with the build quality at 450 quid . they sounded nice with vocals but as you say in some settings they can be a bit bright
however we have a pair with a fm tuner and class T amp and sounds mighty fine . detailed and smooth . the room is very damped . also use a pair in AV system and there too they are fine
i did demo a pair of 606s2 anniversary [ 600 quid] at a dealer against a amphion argon one and that did show up very much the idiosyncracies of the 606 s2 . there was no contest !!! the amphion one walked all over them in being natural and just about 3 times better !!!

ernie finds them comfortable too :D

Such a nice looking speaker! I think my room was a big part of the equation. It's all hardwood floor and blinds rather than curtains etc. so it's very bright in its nature anyway. I'd not be surprised in the least if given a better environment the 607s would sound glorious!

I use Kytes with the legs to avoid tilt.

On stands there's adapters available.

Nice little speaker, I understand if some find their looks an acquired taste.
Maybe frontgrills would have been a good idea.

kyte_gallery_03.jpg

kyte_adaptor_news_montage.jpg

I use Kytes with the legs to avoid tilt.

On stands there's adapters available.

Nice little speaker, I understand if some find their looks an acquired taste.
Maybe frontgrills would have been a good idea.

Oh these look ideal, especially as I have a dog and cat running about the place. With no grills, I admit to being a little nervous about tilting them up with extra rubber feet at the back as I have been doing. Thanks for that!

The legs/screws should be standard and included in the box with owners manual and speakers.
Stand-adapters are additional.

I really enjoyed the Kytes (and io) recently as part of an all Rega vinyl set up, using them with the stand adaptors. They weren't really a practical solution in the end and my daughter and son in law have bought them off me. I'm dropping them off tomorrow so it will be interesting to hear their impressions.

They certainly have Marmite aesthetics, and I must admit I'm one of those who find them to be terminally fugly. :(

I don't like the looks either but I'm old! ;0) I like a nice bit of wood veneer.

I don't know why they've put the sockets one above the other? Plug a thick cable onto that and all the weight will be on the top plug and the lower one will need to be bent out of the way. The cable won't want to hang straight down. I can see no logic for the way they've done it unless they were designed to sit on their sides but they're clearly not.

In fact it would be awkward to put them on their sides which i think is a bit of an oversight in a bookshelf speaker. Clue being in the name. An alternate fixing position for the leg might've been nice.

I don't like the looks either but I'm old! ;0) I like a nice bit of wood veneer.

I don't know why they've put the sockets one above the other? Plug a thick cable onto that and all the weight will be on the top plug and the lower one will need to be bent out of the way. The cable won't want to hang straight down. I can see no logic for the way they've done it unless they were designed to sit on their sides but they're clearly not.

In fact it would be awkward to put them on their sides which i think is a bit of an oversight in a bookshelf speaker. Clue being in the name. An alternate fixing position for the leg might've been nice.
I don’t see a problem if you use something like Linn cable and Deltron banana plugs. It’s just a matter of making one of the leads longer and soldering the plug at a 90 degree angle which is how I do my speaker ended leads.

It’s just a matter of making one of the leads longer and soldering the plug at a 90 degree angle..

Yes, I know you can deal with it but it's a lot simpler fitting two plugs on the end of a cable in the same position rather than having to measure a set distance between them against the back of the speaker. You buy terminated speaker cables, they're coming with plugs that ain't gonna fit these speakers properly.

And the point is, why? Of what benefit is it to have the sockets one above the other? None that I can see. So it's less convenient for no benefit what so ever. It looks to me like a stylist, who's maybe never made a set of cables in his life, has incorporated this in the design and no one has said 'hang on, that's not ideal.

It's not make or break. It wouldn't stop me buying the speakers if they sounded great, which they seem to do, but to me it ain't Rega. I keep harking back to the Planar3/RB300 but it was such a perfect piece of design I struggle to see how they could have bettered it. So it bugs me when you see silly mistakes like this as it's the kind of crap other, lesser, manufacturer do.

So just a little update on these speakers...

I have them in my office and they've really opened up and sound fantastic. At first, I found them a little closed in and direct but they've definitely widened over the hours, or maybe I've just got used to it. Either way, they sound really nice. On the flip side, my dog knocked one off the stands this morning, it only fell 40cm onto a rug but the entire corner of the case has completely shattered! I get that speakers aren't meant to be bounced across a floor, but the height they dropped from and the resulting damage should really not match up in my opinion. I'm pretty unimpressed by this "phenolic resin" right now. I'm pretty disappointed, although appreciate it's my own fault, but these things do happen.

So in summary, sound great but be bloody careful with them!

Bummer about the speaker Eggie! That would not sit too well with me either. I imagine they are nice sounding speakers, for me, the looks just put me off, and I haven't been a fan of the phenolic resin look either. Just me though...

My daughter and son in law now have them plumbed into a system comprising P1/Bias, Apollo and Io and they say the system sounds amazing. In the not too distant future they may become dog owners again (their Great Dane died last year).

advertisement

Back