advertisement

Recapping HiCaps and 250

Surface mount components are perfectly diy-able. We will have to disagree. Now if it had surface mount with pads under the device then it isn't, but e.g. a surface mount resistor, capacitor, transistor is easy enough with a suitable tip on a soldering iron. Might need a magnifying glass and steady hands as stuff gets smaller but nothing there that should scare a diy-er!

Besides both modules are modules, not kits, just solder a couple of wires on and bolt them down.

I understand the point you are making about future ease of repairs but that is a warrantee away and I think you are wrong to suggest surface mount = unrepairable.

I will await MJS to comment on what WitchHat are up to, but my impression was they have been working on their own regulator solutions.

EDIT: perhaps i am reading too much into it but this post suggested to me they are doing their on pre-tracking regulator https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/hicap-v-apx.235468/#post-3851496

My ex-colleague JJ from Naim works with Witch Hat but designs his own regulator and amp boards. We prefer to fit them ourselves to guarantee the work.

We have a lot of ideas between us that we couldn't do at the factory and now have the opportunity to try.

We have the NEWT board (NEW Tracking pre-regulator) that's a replacement for the Naim boards used in the Hicap and Supercap. We also fit a half-NEWT single rail version that we've successfully plumbed into the likes of NAP140, 150, 180, 200, and NAIT3s that give them a huge uplift in performance.

The Phoenix board is a re-working of the Naim amp board that we can fit as a replacement to the NAPA boards used in the like of NAP140,180, 50s and 135s.

Excuse me, i misspoke.
I was talking about miniaturised surface components (cms) which have surface mount with pads under the devices.
Obviously, the normal components are reparable.

It's a shame the Witch Hat Audio modules are not available in parts....

But i completely understand their approach to guarantee the mounting
Good life to the new Wich Hat Audio modules !

I did my Hicap a year or so back and as reported on other threads was the biggest difference for the better I've made with Naim equipment. It was like I'd actually bought a new amp such was the difference in delivery.

Les supplied and posted the kit, including his choice for caps and it was fitted at home. Here's what he supplied.

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG-0337.jpg

advertisement

Back