advertisement

Recapping Epos ES11

Helge Gundersen

I'm thinking of replacing the capacitors in my ES11s with Mundorfs (most likely plain Supreme). The capacitor will then have a lower resistance than the stock one, so has anyone here replaced the resistor as well, and with what value? The old one is 47 ohms.

47R or 4.7R? I'd guess the latter one. I actually did this, but cannot remember the new value. I'd just buy a couple of small values (e.g. 1.2R) and put them in series (and maybe parallel) till you reach the balance you like. Afterwords, get the best matching single resistor and fit 'n' forget.

I think that's what I did.

Alternatively, you could measure the ESR of the old and the new caps, and just add the difference to the resistor accordingly. For this, you would need some knowledge in electronics or a proper ESR meter.

Best,
Oliver

47R. I've checked the colour code, and 47 is what others say, too.

Not much knowledge in electronics here. In fact, I haven't soldered before either, so I'm a bit reluctant... There are some other things I would have liked to do as well, so I feel I should try to start...

(I had thought of starting this thread in the diy forum, but forgot myself.)

The resistor is 47R.

Unlike the earlier ES14 which used an electrolytic cap the ES11 has a Bennic film cap so any improvement, if any is likely to be on the edge of audibility.
The film cap wont have aged so I'd be inclined to leave them alone.

You can see the cap and resistor here:

P1020657.jpg

I remember treating my ES11 (which was from '92 and definetely had a resistor with a smaller value), and the surpreme caps made an audible difference. To my ears, the metal tweeter always sounded a bit brash, leading to frequent occurrences of cymbal mash; the Mundorf cured this to some extent.

In my book, it's always best to judge things one has tried oneself, anyway.
Helge, just make sure you don't break the bennic when soldering it out.

Best,
Oliver

I haven't said I'm going to do it yet, only that I'm thinking of it ;). Not break the old cap by overheating its wire?

There's a thread here from November 2006, and a couple of earlier threads on diy.com, partly involving Oliver :). Reports there and elsewhere seem to indicate that both the stock cap and the Mundorf are very synergistic, the Mundorf being audibly better, and that changing both the simple wire and the cap could be worthwhile. Anyway, I'm about to upgrade the system amplification, and only thing should be done at the time, to isolate the factors.

advertisement

Back