advertisement

Reasonable travel camera

matt j

pfm Member
I'm considering picking up a reasonable compact camera for general use and travel etc, possibly to share with a relative for the same use. Only must-have really is 4k video recording and possibly a viewfinder.

Upto about £400 I'd seen the Lumix LX100, but the choice seems quite daunting to a layman.

Suggestions?

LX100 also has 4K photo enabling 8Mb stills to be hauled out the video stream

The Sony RX100 series is also very popular, but I don't think 4K video is within your budget.

4k not in budget really?

The other one I'd eyed up was the FZ82 but it's a bridge camera really so a bit on the big side, but for £330 the spec list is packed!

think he was referring to the sony RX100 - as that only has 4k in the later models and they're quite expensive... :)

Just out of interest, what makes it a travel camera? Do you have another system in mind that wouldn't be, say, compact enough?

Something classed as compact would probably be what I'm after, bridge cameras are probably just on the bulky side and a DSLR just OTT.

Unless you really need telephoto, a smart camera will do fine for most people most of the time. If you need something for that extra flexibility, go for it.

Do you really need 4k?

HD done well will look much better than 4k done adequately even though you have 4 x the resolution. The computing and storage requirements are easier on your camera and editing app too.

Unfortunately my phone camera is crap, my 10+ year old canon ixus produces images infinitely better.

RE 4k - I've downloaded a few of the 1080 videos from some of the camera reviews and TBH they look pretty grim on my TV.

Increasing resolution won't turn a budget photo camera into a video champion.

I used to have similar needs, except for the video thing, and ended up with an Olympus Stylus 1. Decent viewfinder, decent lens, compact enough for a coat pocket. Drawbacks are a complex menu system, and mediocre performance in dim light. Apart of that it has been a success.

I have always had a pocket camera. For years had a Sony S90, last seen in a taxi in Madrid. Replaced it with an ex-demo RX100 mk3, which is really superb.

I'm seriously considering pre ordering a FZ82, I know it's bigger but you seem to get so much more value for money.

My trusty old FZ150 continues to serve me well along with an even older and trusty Lumix compact (can't remember the model number).
Sorry to say the smart phone camera sees more action than both the above put together. It's just always to hand! (SE7)

advertisement

Back