advertisement

Reasonable Priced Amps for LS3/5a

syep2001

pfm Member
I'm looking to buy some LS3's soon.

Most likely as it happens to be the V2 Stirling Broadcast models.

Im think now of amp's to partner with.

Naim Nait?
Cyrus?

Any comments?

I have a few pairs of 3/5a's, but not the Stirling V2's, I have the original Stirling 3/5a's, I am currently using the following;

Avondale NCC200 Power amps/NAC112x into Stirling 3/5a on lead filled Target Audio R1 stands, the amp have a very large dual 500VA rated power supply that has reserves of around 7 amps per channel.

Avondale NCC200/NAC32.5 into Rogers 3/5a on sand filled solid cherry wood stands, works very well but lacks the punch and LF command of the previous system.

NAP160/NAC42 into Stirling 3/5a stood on top of an oak dresser, not ideal but it is only for casual background music when dining.

The important thing with 3/5a's is to allow them enough room around the cabinets from boundary walls, at least 18", and use some really good solid stands, I can not stress how good the Target R1 stands are for these little monitors, oh and an amp with a good stiff supply and high current reserve power supply, and then they will work their nuts off, they are very inefficient and can sound limp and dynamically challenged with poor quality amps.

I run mine with one of two combinations - EAR 834/Quad 606, Quad 44/Quad 303. Both sound fine.

I used a pair for 18 years powered by a Naim 32/HiCap/250 combo. Second the advice about good a solid foundation, I used Linn Kan stands. Great speakers, shame they don't have any bass, beautiful on voice though.

Andy

I could be wrong,, but the high 11 Ohm plus impedance should mean that any half decent amp will suffice to drive them. As above, Naim seems to like this kind of speaker well, but watch for harshness with old amps needing service (fully serviced ones will be more than fine!). Avondale based amps go without saying!

Again, another shout for Quad, a well sorted 303, 77 or 99 should be sweet and ample in power, but needs an open sounding preamp to work best - late 44 onwards or preferably the 77 and 99 pre will sound very sweet toned with plenty of atmosphere (33's will mostly be shagged now and a standard 34 isn't too strong IMO and will also need service as a couple of caps are inclined to leak all over the mother board when old apparently).

Valves? Take your pick. Older Croft stuff isn't too expensive and is easily serviced. I have high hopes for the Tech-Tube valves (currently ECC81/82/83 replacements but popular output tubes are promised for next year) - their low claimed capacitance should give improved treble performance they claim. EAR amps hold their value too, deservedly if they have the right valves inside. I'm sure the Puresound integrated is good too.

I'm looking to buy some LS3's soon.

Most likely as it happens to be the V2 Stirling Broadcast models.

Im think now of amp's to partner with.

Naim Nait?
Cyrus?

Any comments?
i have been an equiptment junkie for way too long.There , i said it. Finally ,my latest 3 year search for an affordable yet awesome amp/pre has been settled, really settled. I bought ,on a lark, a Primaluna prologue 2 ,2 years ago.Listened,liked it ok, and put it away for a year.Sold some stuff and got it back out.Tried some different power tubes(6 sets) and settled on 2 quads that i liked.Winged c kt-88's and re-issued gold lion KT88's, both made huge impronments. Then i tried 8 or 10 different 12au7's and settled on used but good telefunken's. Then i started rolling the 12ax7's and settled on used but good telefunkens and this amp is now awesome, one of the best sub $4000 units i have ever owned.I am totally pleased to the point that i am subconciously dissappointed that my search is over for sub $4000 perfection.Why did i answer your post? Because i listen through Rogers BBC type speakers(i own 6 pairs) and Spendor 2/3's and spendor bc1's with a rega cd and a rega P-3 turntable. So what do i think? You'd be happy with a stock Prologue and trust me, buy my upgraded tube complement ,and you'll thank me for this post.i got all my tubes off ebay and the web and my tube tester is a TV10D/U .START with the driver tubes upgrade FIRST!! They make more improvment than the power tubes.

I bought my LS3/5a's some thirty years ago and have used them with this and that. They are rather easy to drive and can't stand much power, any good sounding amp should work well. And their main drawback, very limited bass output, won't go away with the worlds most expensive kilowatt amp.

JohanR

IIRC we are talking about 79/80 dbw sensitivity for the LS3/5.

Forget a shoebox Nait unless you listen at low levels only and exclusively to heavily compressed music.

Something taut and grippy is probably called for so I'd be inclined to look out for a nice late Audiolab 8000A or Cyrus 3/PSXR as a minimum.

I have driven mine with (in order) a Nytech CTA 252 XD II, Meridian 101/103s and now a CA 840A. They are sounding better than ever!

palp

Favourite choice on the LS3/5a forum tends to be a push-pull valve amp.
The speakers are quite a reactive load, so good damping factor is important.
They also work very well with the Rogers E40A, which was designed to match them. If you're buying from Doug Stirling, that might be his top recommendation.

Well-sorted classic amps like Radford/RCA/Leak can be superb and are pretty good buys because they hold their value. My personal No.2 fave is Radford MA15s

This works for me:
room2008-3.jpg

though the speakers really should be off the Ab1s and on their own stands.

i got some linn kan mk1s and a nait 2 that i love to much to let go, not my main setup but lovely with vinyl, i mention that as the kans are much like the ls3/5a as far as i can gather, if its an integrated your looking at id go for the nait over the cyrus

the kans are much like the ls3/5a as far as i can gather

Er, no!

The cabinets are the same shape & size (with good reason - that's another story) but they are VERY different sound-wise!

I've owned both - one I loved, the other... I didn't...

I ran mine from a Quad 34/303.
Not quite so good with an Audiolab 8000A.
Oddy enough, when the 34 control Unit was away for a service I ran
the LS3/5as from an original Arcam Alpha amplifier.
Sounded very good...

Something taut and grippy is probably called for
I wholeheartedly agree with this. My V2s were best with modern, high power, super transparent ss amps, NOT Quads. Of course, Quads work well enough, but for not much outlay you can find a better synergy. I wouldn't touch a low wattage amp with these speakers. Mine worked well with big tube amps too.

I ran my Stirling V2 LS3/5A with Nagra VPA 845 valve 50W/ch monos, Nagra MSA and a Leben CS660P. All of which were very nice, if expensive.

I have a NAD C316BEE here and I reckon it would do a good job too. Only cost me £190 ex-dem a few years ago. Worth a try for little outlay.

LS3/5A speakers respond really well to Mullard-powered push pull amps. They'll make a quite lovely - though small scale - sound with the Rogers Cadet (these have a high impedance tap if you are using 15ohm examples) ; open up with a decent EL84 amp, and really shine with a nice 25W EL34 amp. Quad amps (the KT66-powered II) never quite achieved that synergy, at least for me. And they can make a quite gorgeous effect on the end of a good 300B, but only on the right programme (no Mahler 2, or music with rocks!).

I have used my Stirlings with Grad1/Avondale 130Z mono's but have also heard them sounding beautiful through a Nait 2, which is about as low powered as they get.

advertisement

Back