advertisement

Really good integrated amps

I gather the upcoming Yamaha R-N2000a will be essentially an A-S1200 with added digital.

I think my A-S2200 is great, but if the chance arises might consider an R-N2000a eventually to simplify things, make it easy to run the TV through etc.
I don’t know Dave, as digital technology has not stood still I don’t mind keeping it separate. My Raumfeld is coax-ed or optical (I forget which) into the RME then balanced into the AS3000 and I’m happy I can change digital source, streamer or DAC without affecting the amp or the inevitable manufacturer-reach-around when having to upgrade those elements.

I gather the upcoming Yamaha R-N2000a will be essentially an A-S1200 with added digital.

I think my A-S2200 is great, but if the chance arises might consider an R-N2000a eventually to simplify things, make it easy to run the TV through etc.

Looking at the images the PA boards are exactly the same, though looking at the specs they've lost 5w somewhere. My main concern is with all the added digital has the quality analogue pre's been sacrificed. I guess if your mostly a digital listener and want to slim things down this would fit the bill. If it we're me I'd keep the AS-2200 and keep the digi separate.

I do love my A-S1200 but I'm kicking myself a little that I didn't spend the extra for the A-S2200. The A-S3200 was completely out of the question at the time.

Looking at the images the PA boards are exactly the same, though looking at the specs they've lost 5w somewhere. My main concern is with all the added digital has the quality analogue pre's been sacrificed. I guess if your mostly a digital listener and want to slim things down this would fit the bill. If it we're me I'd keep the AS-2200 and keep the digi separate.

I do love my A-S1200 but I'm kicking myself a little that I didn't spend the extra for the A-S2200. The A-S3200 was completely out of the question at the time.
I may go this way and use my Touch for digital. The alternative is the RN 2000A but it depends how much it adds to the 803D.

Early Nait (1984 red led) and Supernait 3 (2020) here.
Very different but both sound enchanting. All the amps I'll ever need.

My favourites...

Bryston B60R - Owned a couple over the years and the current one is staying! Super flexible with the Pre Out/Main in function, nice and small and unless you need welding amounts of power just does everything I can ask.

Denon PMA-2000 range (PMA-2000IVR, PMA-2000AE and PMA-2500NE) - I've had all three, all pretty much the same although the newer 2500NE has a great built in DAC. Great Phonostage, huge amounts of power and as long as you can fit in into your rack, pretty much all the integrated you will ever need.

Sony TA-F770ES - Much like the big Denon above, all the inputs and power you will need, great phonostage but does run hot. Can have some issues if not serviced due to age now.

Had a fair amount of others (Rega Brio3/Brio-R, Maia & Elicit mk 3, Restek Challenger, Audion Sterling, Puresound A10, Sony TA-F670ES & TA-F3000ES and some more) but they are the stand out ones.

Special mention to the Decware Zen, I've had a factory and my current DIY effort but being 2wpc, pretty demanding on the room/volume or speakers to recommend.

My favourites...

Bryston B60R - Owned a couple over the years and the current one is staying! Super flexible with the Pre Out/Main in function, nice and small and unless you need welding amounts of power just does everything I can ask.

The Bryston looks great - no funny business, just a high quality, nicely built amp. I could easily live with that. £5k new though!

New model. It´s called a faux cupboard door that closes with your rack/shelves inside. My Sugden A21SE has been inside on the same shelf for 14 years and it still surprises me.

Amstrad Executive EX330.

Well it's probably the only amp that hasn't been named so far!

But bettered by the Sinclair Project 60 (which counts as an integrated if all the modules assembled in one box). According to the Sinclair blurb at the time, its performance characteristics hold their own with any other system irrespective of size or price. And it came with Sinclair's famous guarantee of reliability and satisfaction.

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/I...ctronics-Today-1972-11.CV01-OCR-Page-0004.pdf

The Bryston looks great - no funny business, just a high quality, nicely built amp. I could easily live with that. £5k new though!
Yeah, both of mine have been second hand units between 15-20 years old, so just at the end of their warranty. Both around the £600-£650 mark so good value then, probably less so at £5k now though!

In terms of the OP’s question, what constitutes ‘really good’?

The only integrated amp that I have used recently is a Musical Fidelity M6 Si is that really good? I suppose I quite liked it although it was on loan and I did give it back, does that make it not good enough?

Reviving this thread with a shout out for the vintage Sansui's recommended on page 1. Just got a 1980's AU-D9 Sansui integrated back from service and recap. The amp and the service stand me for about £800, so not cheap but the thing is quality. I'm hearing more range than in previous pre and power amplification and with the added benefit of it looking so nice. Vintage gear can be a hassle and I've burnt time and money on old gear that hasn't worked out, but when it does work out it brings me joy and I'm loving my music.

I must add the GamuT Di150 LE to the list.
I just love it.

oWiB9bc.jpg

advertisement

Back