advertisement

Really good integrated amps

or even a McIntosh.

*retch*

I guess I could always put a throw over it :)

1220mac.promo_.jpg

An old McIntosh receiver might be nice though. I think Thurston Moore has one and that's enough to redeem them in my eyes. Though I already have a Fisher valve receiver stashed away...

Here's my TT;

A bit dusty, but drives ESL63s with ease :)

Just debating if it’s worth trying to upgrade to this from my Pathos Classic One Mk III, which is already superb. I could go to the Logos 2 for much more power, but maybe going to a Inpol amp is the way to go, despite the power drop.

TT is a glorious sounding thing.
Bloody heavy and gets particularly hot.
Wonderful nonetheless.
Miss mine sometimes.

PS Lyngdorf volume knob is indeed great for spinning.
My fave though was on a SPEC Corporation integrated jobbie.
Forget exact model but all the controls, on/off switch, input selector and volume knob were beautifully weighted.
Sound wasn't too shabby either, seemed to gel especially well with big Tannoy speakers.

Ones I’ve heard recently and liked a lot
Naim supernait 3
Sugden a21se
(and standard a21)

For me it would be either the:

Technics SU-R1000 - If I wanted some digital inputs.
Yamaha - A-S3200 - If I wanted to keep it all analogue

I'm a sucker for black amps with VU-meters. These two would probably be the top end of what I could afford. I'm running an Yamaha A-S1200 at the moment which I bought the day it hit the UK. This year I bought a number of substantial components. This has now made the A-S1200 the weakest link when it once was the strongest :D. Come the end of the financial year I'll look to upgrade, as long as we're not living in a mud hut by then.

red sunset wallpaper
Aethos: adds nuthin, takes nuthin away

Aethos user as well.Had mine about a year now and love it.Have Magnepan 1.7 i speakers not an easy load but the Aethos drives them easily.
Like you have an Aria and superb synergy with the Aethos.
A mate had a Mc Intosh 252 on home dem as was seriously thinking of buying it but wanted to hear my Aethos and we did a A- B on them and he choose the Aethos..and loves it.

The technician kept simply doing a factory reset which I made clear wouldn't fix the issue.

I made a video to show Pioneer the problem:

I'm lucky it didn't damage my speakers because the audible *crack* when it initialised was extremely loud.

Shame as it was good when it was working but I would never go near one again after the failed repairs.
It's a Technics amp, isn't it?

What disappoints me about amps these days is the lack of facilities. Can it really be that hard (or expensive) to build an amp with tone controls, tape loops, MM/MC inputs, pre/pwr split and a basic DAC for good measure?

I once had a "flagship" AV receiver which cost me about £100 used, down from a couple of grand in its heyday. It had everything on it. Wish I'd kept it.

What disappoints me about amps these days is the lack of facilities. Can it really be that hard (or expensive) to build an amp with tone controls, tape loops, MM/MC inputs, pre/pwr split and a basic DAC for good measure?

I once had a "flagship" AV receiver which cost me about £100 used, down from a couple of grand in its heyday. It had everything on it. Wish I'd kept it.

I kind of wish I'd kept the big 70s Yamaha receiver I had years ago - looked lovely too, silver face in a wooden case. Sold it on the Wam for £50... ah well!

For me it would be either the:

Technics SU-R1000 - If I wanted some digital inputs.
Yamaha - A-S3200 - If I wanted to keep it all analogue

I'm a sucker for black amps with VU-meters. These two would probably be the top end of what I could afford. I'm running an Yamaha A-S1200 at the moment which I bought the day it hit the UK. This year I bought a number of substantial components. This has now made the A-S1200 the weakest link when it once was the strongest :D. Come the end of the financial year I'll look to upgrade, as long as we're not living in a mud hut by then.

I gather the upcoming Yamaha R-N2000a will be essentially an A-S1200 with added digital.

I think my A-S2200 is great, but if the chance arises might consider an R-N2000a eventually to simplify things, make it easy to run the TV through etc.

Aethos user as well.Had mine about a year now and love it.Have Magnepan 1.7 i speakers not an easy load but the Aethos drives them easily.
Like you have an Aria and superb synergy with the Aethos.
A mate had a Mc Intosh 252 on home dem as was seriously thinking of buying it but wanted to hear my Aethos and we did a A- B on them and he choose the Aethos..and loves it.
I'm not surprised the Rega beats the McIntosh on a A-B test. This to me proves you listen with your ears, not your eyes.

Norma Revo 140
Moonriver 404
Luxman 590ii
Accuphase any model
Moon has some nice amps.
A lot out there
Ohh Copland has some great intergrated amps too.

advertisement

Back