advertisement

Really good integrated amps

For me, the Leben 300xs was a big improvement on the 4 Naim Boxes it replaced and at under 60% of the cost

I would, however, love to hear the Leben 600 at some point but that is going up a price point or two. I'm far from sure it will be better vfm than the 300

I’ve lived with a lot of amps and when I went to one of those über flats looking over Blackfriars bridge in London to hear the then 2-year old Yamaha AS3000 I couldn’t let it get away and paid £1900. It just drove his monster speakers effortlessly and with class and I wasn’t bothered with how it might compare with others. Like some other posters for me I knew it was good enough to build my systems and rooms around for many years to come.

Bet the A-S3000 is lovely. As someone who very much has a use for balance and tone controls, I ended up looking towards the big Japanese brands late last year. Not so keen on gold or silver and the Marantz Model 30 went up just as I was looking (and looks a bit weird), so I bought a black Yamaha A-S2200.

It’s excellent, and I would definitely consider higher end Yamaha as well as Luxman, Accuphase etc if I were looking again.

Reading through this thread has got me excited for the return of my HH Scott 299c which is with Jez for restoration.
My first tube amp, and at 36w it sounded ok.
There was small hum when I dropped it off, I am sure it will be a killer when sorted.

Interesting as I thought the 3010 was good, but not outstanding by any parameter.

I preferred the Farlowe amps, but pleased to hear they managed to lift recent range performance, having heard good reports of 5010 range too.
In fact I thought the little 1010 bettered the first gen 2010.

The 3510 is using tech and ideas from the 5010 ;regulation, signal path and the amplifier side to very impressive effect.

I didn't like the 10xx. 20xx and 30xx ranges they were all lacking something in their respective price ranges but the newer ranges 5010, 3510, XM and VXM are superb.

Good read. From the list, I only own one of the amps, the Luxman L-590AXII. I find the review of the amp to be rather accurate. It is also interesting that there are ratings for bass weight, slam, detail, air, timbre and dynamics. Although I am not a fan of such assessment, it presents a good benchmark for comparison with other amps. The comparison between the L-509X and L-590AXII is surely very useful. I believe this is the first review that describes both amps in detail.

I agree, except for the marriage and talking too much about it part

I probably talk about it too much but 10 years plus equals a keeper. The LFD NCSE is an exceptional integrated amp. Wonderful sounding piece of kit and I'd sooner marry it than any woman I've ever met.

One more vote for the Croft Integrated.
Still in honeymoon phase but really enjoying it at the moment.
Can’t wait to match it with my Falcon Q7s.

It is an interesting time to be shopping for an Integrated amp now.
There are some offerings from the likes of Rega, Hegel or Marantz that tick so many boxes that the option of having a simple great sounding set up is becoming a reality.

Cost no object is no fun, and will always find more satisfaction is getting great sound for peanuts…
Maybe It is me trying to rationalize not being able to afford the top shelf stuff.

To me its the perfect solid state amp. No grain, organic and smooth sounding, good driving power and pace. I dont hear it as lean...
I dont know about the other LFD amps though.

advertisement

Back