advertisement

Really good integrated amps

My Jadis Orchestra bespoke. As well as sounding really good it just looks so cool imho :)

51095833710_f8a2ba6ebc_m.jpg

51095574633_57502b627f_m.jpg

Lovely and must be in production for 20-25 years now.
For me it has to be the Sugden A21a, understated and simple design, not overly expensive and a fantastic sound when partnered with the right speakers.

Arghh :(

I had one of these. Amazing amplifier.

Separate saved presets for multiple cartridges. Comes with a calibration record.

I purchased from Pioneer eBay outlet as refurbed. Unfortunately came with a problem with the phono stage. Twice back to Pioneer to fix and returned with the same problem.

I ended up sending it back for good. Even had the matching CD player / streamer.

Interesting that some of the high-end amps have digital features like DACs, Bluetooth etc. There was a time when I would have considered this technology that's likely to become outdated pretty quickly. Now as I approach 50 I realise it only has to last 25-30 years and I'll probably be beyond caring : )

If I was considering a new integrated amplifier, my top pick would be an Accuphase; probably either the E-380 or E-480 - depending on how deep my pockets are at the time.

I'm attracted to Accuphase and Lux but I'm aware that this is at least partly because they're archetypal Japanese Jazz Kissa amps.

What are the Luxman integrated valves amps like?

Limiting myself to amps I've owned or know very well;
Nad3150
Inca Tech Claymore
Restek Challenger/Fantasy
MF A1000
Chord 2600
Marantz PM17ki
Audio Analogue Puccini se
Roksan Caspian...all versions up to m2
Graaf GM50

...and 2 or 3 others I'm struggling to remember at this moment.

Another vote for the Roksan Caspian M2. Currently driving Harbeth HL5 Plus speakers. Sounds wonderful. The amp would struggle with speakers demanding high power output amplifiers but for efficient speakers it is excellent.

I'm attracted to Accuphase and Lux but I'm aware that this is at least partly because they're archetypal Japanese Jazz Kissa amps.

What are the Luxman integrated valves amps like?

The big integrated amps from Japan with the meters have a cool retro styling which I'll confess to liking, the Luxman valve integrated amps are really lovely designs too though I've never heard one.

What about these?

https://www.thraxaudio.com/

I’ve lived with a lot of amps and when I went to one of those über flats looking over Blackfriars bridge in London to hear the then 2-year old Yamaha AS3000 I couldn’t let it get away and paid £1900. It just drove his monster speakers effortlessly and with class and I wasn’t bothered with how it might compare with others. Like some other posters for me I knew it was good enough to build my systems and rooms around for many years to come.

There are a few I’m interested in hearing:

Sugden IA4
Exposure 3510
Hegel h390 and 590
Anthem Str integrated

ones I’ve had which I’ve had or heard that I really liked:

Rega brio 2106 version
Rega elex-r
Exposure 3010S2D

That's a pity, probably why it was a refurb but it's a bit poor if the problem wasn't spotted!

The technician kept simply doing a factory reset which I made clear wouldn't fix the issue.

I made a video to show Pioneer the problem:

I'm lucky it didn't damage my speakers because the audible *crack* when it initialised was extremely loud.

Shame as it was good when it was working but I would never go near one again after the failed repairs.

Shame as it was good when it was working but I would never go near one again after the failed repairs.

Maybe just needed a firmware update too. It's this kind of issue that keeps me firmly in the old school, not that I can afford the fancy stuff anyway!

advertisement

Back