1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Really Good Headphones

Discussion in 'audio' started by johnfromnorwich, Aug 22, 2012.

1. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich even my wife noticed the dif..

So how far can one go? I've had some HD600s for a few years and I now have a very decent headphone amp too (or so I'm told). Since I currently have no access to decent speakers*, I've been pretty much on phones full time. They sound OK, fairly detailed, but bass extension is a bit limited. Am I asking too much? What can a really good 'phone do?

*ESL 63 > Fostex 6301B? Everyone's wife in the next room ought to notice that difference

2. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

3. wacko

wacko pfm Member

I have LCD2: you would certainly not need or want more bass IMO

4. johnfromnorwich

In a good way? Not being facetious, a decent HP amp, no speakers and a sleeping baby has opened me up to the potential of the headphone as a serious transducer.

5. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE Senior mumbler

I found this resource helpful ... still havent got round to buying any mind.

http://www.headphone.com/learning-c...raphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

I listened to the HD650 to the HD800 different price league but the bass in the graphfor the HD650's rolled off at the bottom end which reflected my experience it also was more smoother at the top end . Which as you can see above the freq response dips and peaks

6. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

Cool website

I have some Beyerdynamic T1's which are just stunning and very very comfortable, I found them much more comfortable than the Sennheisers and have happily worn them for 7 hour sessions.

Personally I would try a variety of headphones for comfort first, and then from your preferred list select the sound you prefer. No point in having expensive headphones that don't suit your head, you just won't use them, or find them very irritating. I borrowed several pairs of headphones from my dealer before settling on my preferred choice.

7. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

All good advice. I find too loud bass on 'phones gives me earache. I also had high end phones that I couldn't wear for more than an hour, and even then spent all my time adjusting the fit. It's taken me most of this year and a fair amount of trial and error, and cash, to finally arrive at a set up I am very happy with.

8. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

HD700's or 800's

9. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

No mention of Stax?

That said, I couldn't really use them as my Hi-Fi is in the same room as the telly which 'er indoors' watches incessantly. The Stax's sound fab but leak far too much noise, both in and out.
    For a long time I used Sennheiser HD25s, which are closed back, but avoided the above issues without sacrificing too much fidelity.
    Then... I dug out an old pair of semi open JVC HA-D600s, which are superb. Must be getting on 30 years old!

Mull

10. johnfromnorwich

Leakage wouldn't be a concern. We don't have a TV and I'm really only thinking out loud here but I was actually f*****' cheeky tonight listening to Kraftwerk on the cans whilst she got the same over the crappy speakers. I'm not sure who'll be gladder when the ESLs come back from Quad tbh... However, it's nice to be able to listen late and loud. My main concern with Stax was the heavy cabling though. Issue?

11. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

John,

The HD800s do justice to the 32-foot pipe on a big organ.

(Somehow, this has come across rather poorly.)

Joe

12. Stevie A

Stevie A pfm Member

I use Grado sr 125's they have a great open sound and are now getting some serious use since i bought my Arcam rpac for my laptop!!!

13. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Active Member

The HiFiMan headphones (esp HE-5LE, HE-500 & HE-6) also deserve mention here. Some of these however need some serious amplification (HE-6 in particular).

Great stuff. I love my HE-5LEs with a Little Dot VI balanced tube amp.

14. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

I use Taket H2+ with TR2 step up transformer
    10hz - 150khz truly full range with built in supertweeters
    Best headphones I,ve ever heard in 30years
    www.taket.jp

15. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

I have the Lawton Audio ADH7000.

Them, the ATH m50 by AT, AKG 701..

all superb

16. thejoker

thejoker pfm Member

I love the ATH M50's. I also loved the Ultrasone signature pro. Good bass on both. Both closed back though (which i need) and both easy to drive

17. bigmarcelo

bigmarcelo pfm Member

the Aude'ze LC2 would be my top of the line now - I don't like the somewhat revealing HF on the HD800 ... I quite like my HD650 with silver cables.... at my bedside I tend to listen to Bayer's 770 since they are closed cans and quite comfortable to wear...

my preference on the above is for warm, great mids, good bass and not to bright/revealing top end.... I pair all my cans with tube amps also .... Wooaudio WA2, WA6 and govibe portatube +

18. Rodney gold

Rodney gold Im just me...

HD800 is the way to go as a very worthwhile upgrade from 600's , completely "different" sound , but still in the Senheisser mould...800's need a bit of welly when driving em. The bass is different to the 600's , more extension , more "truthful" , less of the disco boom. You might not like the new bass as it doesn't overemphasize anything and just gives you what is on the recording..

19. johnfromnorwich

If it's accurate, I'll like it. For speakers I run ESL63s and Tannoy Monitor Golds in infinite baffle cabs. No boom around these parts! I'm also a bass player so I'm very picky about how realistic the low end feels. I can't remember what I paid for the 600s but the price differential would need to mean a very significant improvement. It looks like there's a few options around that price too - the Lawton's mentioned by Teddy look to be modded Denons. I had no idea Denon made expensive cans but I'd be interested in hearing a pair purely in the grounds that I've never heard 'high end' closed back cans before.

20. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Those 800s are great - much, much better than 650s or 600s. That said, they do sound quite different (as Rodney Gold said). They are, to date, the best headphones I've owned and second only to the Orpheus in terms of the best I've heard. Some might argue that HD800s on the end of an überamp might actually outperform the Orpheus.

All that said, if you're looking at spending this sort of money, you ought also to check out some Stax as an alternative approach and sound.