advertisement

Really a Linn Sondek?

I’m sure I’ve seen a picture of one with a 12” Ittok on it, though there are things that don’t look quite right there, e.g. I can’t imagine Linn ever using a perspex armboard (at least that looks like what it is) and where is the armboard logo? I’d also expect a deck of that date (Valhalla-era) to have a fluted afro or walnut plinth. I don’t know though, it would be such a rare thing it could have any number of design decisions.

PS I’d love to see inside one as I just can’t see how the suspension could work well with an arm so far beyond the back spring.

I’m sure I’ve seen a picture of one with a 12” Ittok on it, though there are things that don’t look quite right there, e.g. I can’t imagine Linn ever using a perspex armboard (at least that looks like what it is) and where is the armboard logo?
Tempered smoked glass with engraved logo according to the description (Support du bras SME 3012 en verre trempé fumé gravé : " LP12 LINN SONDECK ") You can make out what looks like the logo on one of the pics.

I see what you mean, and that glass would make that side of the deck just crazy heavy! I’m really curious as to how it is sprung!

PS Again I can’t see Linn using glass, it just goes against their materials tech/thinking of the time to my mind. A very interesting deck for sure and I’d like to hear a Linn insider’s perspective.

A photo of the rear plinth panel might have told us more about it's authenticity. I expect there isn't much to show, hence one not being given.

If it’d been perspex armboard, I’d have suggested Inspire hifi? I seen them with 12” linn’s in the past.

I think we can say with some confidence that it didn't come out of the Linn factory!

I would have thought that if Linn had be interested in making one it would have had a larger top plate and standard arm board - the one listed just looks like a bodge.

I'm pretty sure its one of the things made by Inspire HiFi.

Massive wide armboard on standard subchassis I suspect in custom plinth.

The lid has the look of having been repurposed. Could it have come from an old Garrard 401 12 inch arm plinth? The badge looks original but not in the right place.

advertisement

Back