advertisement

RCM - Project VC-S2 vs Okki Nokki One

A friend of mine has the older Okki Nokki which he let me borrow back in 2012 and that worked very well.
I think the new OKki models have only just come to market due to Covid and I haven't seen one or any reviews yet.
I've been pondering buying an RCM for years now, I have been looking at the new Project too for quite a while now, about time I made a decision.

I’m in the same boat and weighing up the respective merits of these two RCM’s. I’m slightly disappointed to see that Okki Nokki have moved the manufacture of their machines from Germany to China and changed the material of the vacuum arm from aluminium to plastic whilst slightly raising the selling price.

I was bought the original Okki Nokki for my 65th some years ago works well drive motor quiet & not to noisy when vacuum on. If I had money to burn I would also try a Velvet Vortex ultrasonic cleaner around £395.0 write-ups look good though I have never seen one in the flesh.

I’m in the same boat and weighing up the respective merits of these two RCM’s. I’m slightly disappointed to see that Okki Nokki have moved the manufacture of their machines from Germany to China and changed the material of the vacuum arm from aluminium to plastic whilst slightly raising the selling price.
I've more or less ruled out the Okki. Have been looking at the Moth II, as usual there's always something just a bit more expensive out there, I'm 90% decided on the Project.

I've been quite impressed with my Project VC-E, it seems to do the job well, not too noisy and small enough to easily put away after use. I would imagine the VC-S is better and doesn't need the platter under the record to stop vapour from the outlet getting on the underside of the record so should be a fraction easier to use.

Good luck even finding a new Okki Nokki One for sale, most stores seem to be sold out currently. I think that the launch was held back due to the pandemic. I’ve read that the Moth is very dependable with good availability of spares etc but very noisy. The Project VC-S would seem to be the obvious candidate being a recent re-design, available and very well priced.

THE major problem with RCM - you cannot do a comparison, one against another, that would take absolutely identically "dirty" records.

Failing that, you'd need someone with two different RCM, clean a record with A, listen, and then clean with B before listening again. Then clean a similarly grubby record with B, listen etc. Even then, a very small number of records do improve after two passes through one machine, but they are rare.

I bought a bargain and do not anticipate selling it, or changing it. There is only so much that water and IPA can achieve.

Loving my Project cleaner, big upgrade for your vinyl and life saver for your cartridge.

The small platter saves contaminating the side you just cleaned. I intend modifying mine with a 90 degree bend/hose over the vent hole to stop vapor fouling the record side underneath.

For what its worth and this will come down entirely to personal preference, having tried both the Okki-Nokki and the Pro-Ject, I much preferred having the solid platter of the Okki-Nokki. Platter contamination is a non issue if you're sensible.

The new Okki-Nokki One looks very tempting, esp with that new record clamp with label cover.

I was set to get the Project but saw Okki Nokki had a couple of new machines out. Anyone seen/used/own the ONE? Bit dearer at £500 than the Project which seems to go for around £400.

ONE and GO! Dunno how much the smaller GO! costs.
https://www.okkinokki.com/

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/okki-nokki-one-record-cleaning-machine-1859-p.asp

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/pro-ject-vc-s2-alu-record-cleaning-machine-20956-p.asp
Okki-nokki is extremely loud compared to the new projects night and day. One does not clean better than the other. The small entry project is easy to stow away lighter also. Build quality is superior also.

I think that I prefer the full size platter of the Okki Nokki to the Project’s spindle. In fact, I thought that I read somewhere that the Okki Nokki One now comes with the choice of either full size platter as standard or supplied interchangeable spindle platter - perhaps someone else can confirm this? I also read that the Okki Nokki One has a double walled plastic box plinth to quieten the vacuum pump noise. Thing is that my local dealer stocks the Project but not the Okki Nokki so apart from watching various YouTube demos/reviews there’s no easy way to compare them in use.

I think that I prefer the full size platter of the Okki Nokki to the Project’s spindle. In fact, I thought that I read somewhere that the Okki Nokki One now comes with the choice of either full size platter as standard or supplied interchangeable spindle platter - perhaps someone else can confirm this? I also read that the Okki Nokki One has a double walled plastic box plinth to quieten the vacuum pump noise. Thing is that my local dealer stocks the Project but not the Okki Nokki so apart from watching various YouTube demos/reviews there’s no easy way to compare them in use.
I have owned both obviously Project now in my experience the Project is the one. Have cleaned up to 20 albums in one day faultless.

I was set to get the Project but saw Okki Nokki had a couple of new machines out. Anyone seen/used/own the ONE? Bit dearer at £500 than the Project which seems to go for around £400.

ONE and GO! Dunno how much the smaller GO! costs.
https://www.okkinokki.com/

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/okki-nokki-one-record-cleaning-machine-1859-p.asp

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/pro-ject-vc-s2-alu-record-cleaning-machine-20956-p.asp
£429 is quite a price hike on the Pro-ject . I got mine last year for £309 from Audio Affair, discounted at the time and am delighted with the quality.

If money wasn’t a factor then I’d just plump straight for the Clearaudio Smart Matrix Silent or maybe the Nessie Vinylcleaner Pro at £1300.

advertisement

Back