advertisement

RCM choice?

true blue

pfm Member
I'm torn between a Moth kit for £325 or an Okki Nokki for £400, both currently on Ebay. Having just finished cataloging my collection (with something like 2000 LPs) I think it's about time I took the plunge. Has anyone ever used both of these machines, and would you have any recommendations? Or could you point me at something else in the £3-400 range?

Feel free to offer me anything secondhand too, as long as it works!

Okki is great and for the extra well worth it, it is made very well, despite the name, in Germany.

I think the Moth also has a reputation as being LOUDER!!!

I have similar amount of vinyl and consider my Okki part of the system.

When clean, use new poly lined inners.

The VPI is probably worth the extra on the Okki and a bit quieter.

I would not be too happy about not having full support under the record? I have a Clearaudio model which is essentially a well made version of the Okki Nokki and the ability to really bear down on dirty records that are properly supported by a full sized metal platter is useful IMO.

Very pleased with my Okki Nokki. I have now cleaned some 800 records - no problems.

By the way how often do you clean your records chaps and what makes you say that such & such a record needs a clean?

Okki is great and for the extra well worth it, it is made very well, despite the name, in Germany.

I think the Moth also has a reputation as being LOUDER!!!

I have similar amount of vinyl and consider my Okki part of the system.

When clean, use new poly lined inners.

The VPI is probably worth the extra on the Okki and a bit quieter.

wow, i thought Concord would be quieter than my VPI !

Very pleased with my Okki Nokki. I have now cleaned some 800 records - no problems.

By the way how often do you clean your records chaps and what makes you say that such & such a record needs a clean?

It depends, but I use a felt brush and look at what comes off when I use it. If mostly normal dust I am happy but if it looks more like a fine granulated dust then I clean it. Also if I am familiar with a record and it starts to get noisier than normal I clean it.

Okki Nokki..............., on any given day!, but the Clearaudio Matrix SE ( MK II or Professional whatever it's called now ) at $1.499 in the USA is a beautiful machine to behold. Regards, Oscar

After poncing around for a few years cleaning the odd record and any incoming charity shop ones, I made a New Year's resolution to clean the whole collection by end Jan.

After a hundred or so, a numbing effect comes over the brain and narcosis sets in. It's fifty-fifty that I'll be sane enough on completion to operate my record-player, but I'm nearly half way through the thousand or so.:)

Very happy with my Moth kit. Building it was easy, and it works very well, except that it is NOISY!. I wear ear defenders when using it as I've measured over 100dB SPL standing by it. Does do an excellent job though.

S.

Frankly, they all clean to similar standards...so unless you wish to jump to a Loricraft, probably best to buy the cheapest. The Chinese Hans model is my favourite..certainly best built at under £500.
How often should you clean...as little as possible.I don't clean unles the rercord genuinely needs it. But then a friend who buys masses of records cleans then under the tap, with a sponge and the merest touch of washing up liquid....and they sound just as good as when washed with my Loricraft. Makes me wonder if we are all a bit conned......

I don't have a problem with noise levels on my VPI (nor does Tony, it seems). All accounts put the Moth as much louder.

Maybe I'm deaf anyway and it's all been a waste of time .:)

Thanks for the replies so far. Slightly put off by the noise of the Moth, maybe the Okki is the better choice for me.

I didn't think the Clearaudio range came in below £400 - am I missing something?

Thanks for the replies so far. Slightly put off by the noise of the Moth, maybe the Okki is the better choice for me.

I didn't think the Clearaudio range came in below £400 - am I missing something?

If you're near Leeds you are more than welcome to come and have a test drive on my Moth. It's noisy but not unbearably so. It's also a damn good cleaner but I suspect most machines do the cleaning bit rather well.

Simon

I've sold dozens of Moth machines and never had anyone complain about the noise - after all, you aren't cleaning records at the same time as you play them.

The Moth I have been using in a shop environment is one of the first manufactured and must be twenty years old now and it's still going strong and efficient.

Thoroughly recommended and it's British.

A thumbs up for the Moth here too. It IS noisy but that's quite handy really as it gets rid of the kids!

advertisement

Back