advertisement

RB300 counter weight & re-wiring tips

Damas

pfm Member
Got myself Origin Live counterweight and Incognito re-wire kits for Xmas - How did she know?

I have a RB300 mounted on a Roksan Xerxes and will be installing the kits next week when I have some spare time.

Question is simply - Are there any useful tips/hints from those who've done the same in the past?

Other Info

I have a bubble level and tracking force gauge which are obviously essential and also the Hi-Fi News test LP. Soldering experience limited to speaker cable terminations and the odd repair to radio circuitry. I've also seen the Roksan set-up guide which seems pretty comprehensive.

Many Thanks

Paul

Sorry I can't help on the hints and tips but I would be interested in knowing what you thought of the result and the ease of upgrade.

Cheers

Coincidentally, I have an O/L counterweight and internal wiring loom (hopefully) winging their way out here as we speak.

The arm is an RB250 on a Xerxes.

I ordered the internal wire only and the Cardas plug, so I can use my ARO cable to the preamp.

If you encounter any set up difficulties let me know.

BTW, I had to rout out the bottom of the arm hole to allow the correct VTA and still attach the nut. The long Rega nut won't fit up the hole.

The OL modification is simple, a bit of force is required to unscrew the rega stub but that's all.

The only tricky part of the rewiring is soldering the clips onto the end of the 4 wires.

Inbetween ordering the kits and installing them I finally decided that my cartridge had had it. I have a new Ortofon on it's way, once received I will be playing with the set up.

Paul

Have you tried the "new" arm with the old cartridge, or are you not going to bother?

I would be interested in hearing your impressions of the modded arm without having the new cartridge in place.

If you can't be bothered I will understand - but it would be good to know what you think.

Yes I did, but for a very short while. Bass was hugely improved, tighter and much "bigger". Everything plays with a bit more life. As you suggest, I can't be bothered tuning until I get the new cartridge. There's so much to play with I may aswelll wait.

Paul

This was the OL structural mods and the Incognito re-wire, yes?

Sound like it is a definate must - wonder what the difference between the OL rewire and the Incognito is...

The package from O/L arrived in timely fashion, though Customs obviously found the strange shapes inside the box worthy of a closer look...

As well as the parts ordered they also sent some spacing washers and a lock nut. Nice. the instuctions cover everything remotely connected with modding and setting up rega arms, and are both candid and comprehensive.

Obviously the counterweight mod is the easiest so I did that first.

You need to be careful not to screw the insert too far in, but apart from that installation is a breeze.

I was using a stock RB250 fitted with an RB300 counterweight and stub, borrowed from a friend who'd done the upgrade, the cart is a DV20XH, and the deck is powered by my Roxygeddon.

Result: initially noticeable was the aforementioned meatier bass, together with that wonderful "unveiling" of a successful upgrade. More detail, more insight, better rhythmic emphasis, and, unless I accidentally touched the volume, sounded louder too.

I've had Janis Ian's much-acclaimed 180 gram Breaking Silence for a while, but found it disappointing; compressed and recessed, it never involved me, I thought perhaps the change in VTA due to the thick slab was to blame. Ha! No way, now it's dynamic, vibrant and involving and every bit as good as it's supposed to be.

Take off those blinkers Roy Gandy, Mark Baker has shown you how to build a counterweight that WORKS!

advertisement

Back