advertisement

Rawlplugs for heatsinks?

gingermrkettle

Deep vein trombonist
Well not Rawlplugs, but being bored of the faff of M3 taps are there such a thing as threaded inserts that will hold a TO220 device to a heatsink properly? I can see the inserts supposedly for plastic but wasn't sure if they would be suitable.

If you can access the other side simply drill a 3.5mm hole all the way through and use an m3 bolt with nut and washer on the opposite side.

Nutserts are good for sheet metal, especially if you can`t access the other side but they don`t go in quite flush so not so good for screwing a TO220 device down on.

Not reliably so, in my experience, and you have to countersink the hole by exactly the right amount.

In the case of screwing devices to a heatsink nutserts won`t give maximum conductive area close into the fixing hole of a (say) TO220 device.

Just use a self-tapping metal screw in the blind hole? You really don't need or want much force to hold a TO220 in place.
Hi,
Thanks for this - just did a search and screwfix sells them.

I did not know that they existed - are they suitable for power transistors with a TO-264 package and an aluminium heatsink ?

Regards,
Shadders.

In aluminium you can tap M3 by putting the tap in a cordless hand drill with a tiny dab of grease - I’ve done it hundreds of time (speeds things up enormously).

Agreed, but works best with good-quality taps, not glass-hard cheapo ebay /chinesium specials (which can snap readily under shock, leaving an intractable problem unless you like playing with carbide, or nitric acid...)

I did 300 regs one time each had 2x m3 threads so 600 taps at 20mm deep only took me 2 days and one dormer tap, trick is to wire brush and oil the tap every 3rd or so tap.

advertisement

Back