advertisement

Raw Power

Joe Hutch

Mate of the bloke
Having listened to the 'loud' CD reissue* at the weekend, last night I dusted off my ancient, worn, original mix vinyl version of this epic album from 1973. On balance, I still prefer the muffled LP sound, with the drums and bass mixed way down allowing Iggy's vocals and Williamson's guitar to take centre stage. But both LP and CD are about 50000 times better than any other album, so there you go.

* The pages of the CD booklet are assembled in a somewhat random order, giving them the feel of a William Burrough's 'cut-up' book, which is interesting as Iggy name-checks Burroughs in the booklet.

"Search and Destroy" is such a great start to the album that it is inevitable that it fades a bit by comparison after that.

Now you remind me of it, I will look out my copy.

I'm more of a self-titled Stooges person myself. Although as someone on here commented a while ago, the three of them can essentially be taken together as one long AMAZING album.

The first three are fantastic, but Kill City is one of the best Stones LP's ever.

Their new one is very ordinary.

Can I just say 'Rough Power' is worth checking out, for the raw sounding mixes, which crackle with energy.

The original Raw Power was not helped by a Mr. D. Bowie being involved, but on the other hand, we can thank D. Bowie for The Idiot and Lust for Life, so he made up for it.

I agree, The Weirdness is not going to make the all time top 5 Iggy stack.

DS

Having listened to the 'loud' CD reissue* at the weekend, last night I dusted off my ancient, worn, original mix vinyl version of this epic album from 1973. On balance, I still prefer the muffled LP sound.
Agreed; the loud CD is compressed to hell. Maybe that's appropriate but I prefer the old mix. The first issue CD has the Bowie mix.

Tim

advertisement

Back