advertisement

Raw chicken, how do you deal with it...?

PhilofCas

pfm Member
Hi all,

I’ll set the scene....

We eat a fair bit of chicken, we buy breast, nothing else.

Prior to cooking, the Mrs insists on cutting off every last bit of sinew, white/bloody bits etc, these offcuts then go in a bin bag.

As you can imagine, these offcuts then start to fester and in not a long space of time our outside wheelie bin can often have a very whiffy aroma (absolutely fooking stinks TBH), it also can start to crawl with maggots, lovely!

So, I personally wouldn’t cut off the ‘bits’ and just eat it, but I’ve lost that one, offcuts it is.

What is the best way to dispose of this raw chicken without unleashing the smell and maggots?

I had thought of taking the offcuts and cooking them before they go in the bin, might help.

What do you do?

(btw, the offcuts often amount to a fair bit of chicken)

(Chicken here - pick up a reduced whole one, separate into 6-8 pieces using sheers or a BIG, heavy knife, freeze separately. Thaw whatever you need at any one time, remove skin or not, reduce in size as appropriate - stir-fry and paella for instance need smaller pieces. Mind the bones when eating.)

I do what the op does.
Cook the off cuts and feed them to the dog.

if we didn’t have a dog I’d freeze the offcuts until bin day or flush them.

combine bits of unwanted chicken with chopped onion (leave the skin on) carrots and celery.
Add a bay leaf or two and 3 pints of water. Simmer for 3 - 6 hours. Strain and discard waste into a bag and seal. Bin it.
Now you have some useful stock.
If your beloved still has issues with the chicken waste, seal it in a bag and chuck it in a neighbours dustbin.

combine bits of unwanted chicken with chopped onion (leave the skin on) carrots and celery.
Add a bay leaf or two and 3 pints of water. Simmer for 3 - 6 hours. Strain and discard waste into a bag and seal. Bin it.
Now you have some useful stock.
If your beloved still has issues with the chicken waste, seal it in a bag and chuck it in a neighbours dustbin.

Now there’s a thought

Hi all,

I’ll set the scene....

We eat a fair bit of chicken, we buy breast, nothing else.

Prior to cooking, the Mrs insists on cutting off every last bit of sinew, white/bloody bits etc, these offcuts then go in a bin bag.

As you can imagine, these offcuts then start to fester and in not a long space of time our outside wheelie bin can often have a very whiffy aroma (absolutely fooking stinks TBH), it also can start to crawl with maggots, lovely!

So, I personally wouldn’t cut off the ‘bits’ and just eat it, but I’ve lost that one, offcuts it is.

What is the best way to dispose of this raw chicken without unleashing the smell and maggots?

I had thought of taking the offcuts and cooking them before they go in the bin, might help.

What do you do?

(btw, the offcuts often amount to a fair bit of chicken)

Boil them with a bit of onion, some peppercorns, a bit of carrot, a bay leaf and a pinch of salt. End result is a nice chicken stock which can be frozen then used in avariety of dishes.

Strain and then bin the cooked offcuts.

We use a product call 'Binsect'. Little bag things you hang in the bin, but the bin needs to be free from maggots first. On the 'net from MK Tools ltd. And yes, they work. But I eat all the chicken!

There are huge bin bags available for the whole dustbin.

If the bin is clean, and you use these huge bags then the bin will be maggot free.

Also keep your dustbin out of direct sunlight, the heat will not help, and increase the likelihood of maggots/flies.

Pay someone to wet clean your dustbin once a week...?

(as a comment - chicken breast is the least tasty part of a chicken. Thighs/legs have more flavour.)

Please don't flush them. Only bodily secretions and tissue paper should go down the toilet.

And who is going to tell raw from digested? How do you figure waste disposal units in to that idea?

Biodegradable? If so - flush it. With bin collections over most of the UK being once fortnightly, I LONG ago abandoned binning anything that would provide a nice blue-bottle culture medium.

Solve the issue of smell / where to put it / dont flush it - get yourself a sink macerator.
It will basically macerate it to tiny particles before it goes down the waste pipe.
You will then find your bin free of smells, and that it can be used on a great deal of kitchen waste.
Also saves on multiple bags etc.

Solve the issue of smell / where to put it / dont flush it - get yourself a sink macerator.
It will basically macerate it to tiny particles before it goes down the waste pipe.
You will then find your bin free of smells, and that it can be used on a great deal of kitchen waste.
Also saves on multiple bags etc.

So the idea is to waste electricity to put it in EXACTLY the same place as if you flushed it, just minced even finer? Also does not work if your sink drains to an open gulley and a trap.

advertisement

Back