advertisement

Rate My Bokeh

what the dog photographer said:

I took two quick photos the other day as a comparison when finishing out a roll on new film that I was also trying.

I have two 50mm Leica lenses. One is the 50 1.4 Lux ASPH and the other is a 50 2.0 Cron DR in the 2116xxx serial number range.

Both of these shots were taken within a minute of each other with each lens wide open.

The film is Kodak 100 UC. Scanned with my Nikon 5000 with the same settings ( no sharpness or other mods.) No Photoshop except for conversion to 8bit, sRGB, image size reduction for the web, and both saved at 90% JPEG quality to get file size for the forum.

Ignoring the slightly different compostion as my dog moved on me and I had to move, which one do you like best? (Relative to sharpness, OOF bokeh, vignetting, tones, definition, etc...)

What about this bad boy:

buns.jpg

To my eyes the bokeh in this seems reasonable using the same lens we agreed was shit. So presumably the current light conditions etc will come into play as well as just the lens?

The problem with bokeh is that it's been fetishised way beyond it's relative importance. Of course distracting background blur is not desirable, but compared to the many other ways you can screw up a photo, it's really pretty minor.

mousey.

in both look and content, that's a classic pinhole shot. no glass at all!

vuk.

It was taken with a Holga 120 - my cheapest camera by a long way, and one that gives me better results (aesthetically) than anything else I've got.

Anyone know what the deal is with the 43mm limited in LTM - there's one on ebay at the moment.

dan

if you can believe it, i've just been banned from the leica forum until the end of 2006.

vuk.

Oh dear. What did you do?

PS- I was banned from the Naim forum for not disclosing my actual date of birth in my profile.
PPS- That, and for entering first name "**** you", last name "adam" in my profile.

I was once banned from the Naim forum for making a jokey reference to them copying one of Vuk's photographs for their latest brochure.

I've never been banned anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

Joe

And of guarantee of class, Joe. Don't forget class.

Joe

I have a lot of difficulty with the term "boke" or "bokeh". Everytime I see it I can't help thinking of another Japanese word: bukkake which means something alltogether different! The link is the Wikipedia entry but even so, don't click if easily shocked. Probably not a good idea to click if at work either.

Michael.

Yuk. The most worrying part is that if you read down to the 'Etymology' section of that link 'butch igaryi' gets a specific mention...

advertisement

Back