advertisement

Raspberry Pi as headless streamer

Chiily, DAC+ is excellent, gives a refurbed MDAC running on CCA more than a run for its money. I have it fronting a nice Naim set up at present.

RUNE? Tried all day today to get the buggering bugger to work. Over written now and back with Ipcore/LMS.

Chiily, DAC+ is excellent, gives a refurbed MDAC running on CCA more than a run for its money. I have it fronting a nice Naim set up at present.

RUNE? Tried all day today to get the buggering bugger to work. Over written now and back with Ipcore/LMS.

Well, I'm looking forward to it. I have a HIFIBerry Digi+ running into a Heed Dactilus 2 atm. The Dactilus is a little soft sounding compared to vinyl. I'm hoping the IQAudIO DAC+ will sharpen the sound a little.

Once the IQAudIO DAC+ arrives I'll have the Dactilus and HIFI Berry DIGI+ to sell I hope.

I have a PI2 running piCorePlayer providing the LMS for two other PI3s, running again piCorePlayer and a Squeezebox Touch. I'm convinced I managed to get Tidal working on it through LMS. You have to go to http://mysqueezebox.com login and add Tidal from the apps list. Add your Tidal login details and away you go.

I've not tried Rune, but from what I've read I can't see how it would support Spotify or the Touch; maybe I missed something on the website.

I've got Tidal running sweet through LMS @16/44.1 in FLAC. If I can manage it you will find it a doddle:D

Looking good...

Bi5TgPm.jpg

No time for serious listening yet. Thought I have noticed that the red light on the Pi blinks indicating not enough juice from the PSU. Time to build a linear supply..

Last edited:
Thought I have noticed that the red light on the Pi blinks indicating not enough juice from the PSU. Time to build a linear supply..

If you are short on power/current, a smps might be a better solution.

Pi3 with Hifiberry Dac+ Pro and original Raspberry switched ps sounds absolutely great.
I just can't belive, how good the sound is. Dac+ Pro with two clocks is a great bargain.
If you use squeezelite, than try to set:

squeezelite priority 75

and buffer 50000:800000

In this way track are played from RAM.

Pi3 with Dac+ Pro is like Nad 3020 35 years ago.

He is joking at the expense of the linux 'tweakers'. Underclocking will make no difference.

Yes, i am using underclocking. IMHO sounds better, but everybody should make own tests.
With underclocking power supply has to deliver less current, is less stressed and different parts in Pi are more "relaxed".

I am using picoreplayer and with my own script i am stopping all non audio related services few minutes after boot.

Raspberry Pi 3 powered by diy ps with superteddyreg + Hifiberry Dac+ Pro powered by 4 aa batterries sounds better than my Pi with Buffalo. Absolutely crazy.

Is it all about clocks (dac+ pro has two very good clocks) and power supply ???

I have built a new streamer. After reading endless discussions on diyaudio i did this:

Raspberry Pi3 with Hifiberry Dac+ Pro with three power supplies:

1. iFi ps for Pi, connected directly to GPIO pins 6 (gnd) and 2 (+)

2. 3.3V ps with LT3042 for clocks and the digital part of DAC + pro connected to pins 20 (gnd) and 1 and 17 for (+). You have to bent PI3 pins 1 and 17 on gpio header, than DAC will not get 3.3V from Pi

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=122344995546

3. 3.3V ps with TPSA4700 for the analogue part of DAC + pro. You have to remove R14, than DAC will not get 5V from Pi and then connect the + on the output leg of 3.3V reg

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=252501322400

One 50VA 2x6V transformer for ps 2 and 3.

I have changed caps C7/C8 after PCM1522 for Digikey P/N PCF1457CT-ND Panasonic ECH-U1C222GX5. SMD parts are nightmare.

SQ is phantastic. I also tried Volumio instead of my beloved picoreplayer and IMHO it sounds much less digital and just overall better, than pcp ...
No more server, i connected hd directly to Pi.

I will post some pics and details later.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
1. iFi ps for Pi, connected directly to GPIO pins 6 (gnd) and 2 (+)

I prefer the sound with the Pi supplied by the micro USB. I realise this is counter intuitive becuase the protection circuits ought to increase supply impedance, but my ears tell me otherwise.

In the last 10 days i tested picoreplayer, volumio and moode player.

Number 1 for sound quality - moode audio player (with LL kernel and fifo option for mpd).

Number 1 for simplicity - volumio
just connect your hd with music library to pi, insert sd card and boot. Nice android app.

Number 1 for comfort and functionality - picoreplayer
great Squeezebox alternative with a lot of features because of Logitech Media sever.

I need sound quality of moode player, volumio simplicity and picoreplayer possibilities ...

:)

advertisement

Back