advertisement

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B limitations

Darth Vader

From the Dark Side
I already had 2 Pi computers a model 2B and 3B so I thought the 4GB Pi 4B would be much the same. However.........

It comes to pass that the Broadcom BCM2711 employed in this new Pi can only boot from the latest version of Raspbian. So all of my other install images e.g. Ubuntu 19.10, volumio, and Windows 10 pro fail to boot. I actually raised this with the supplier as I thought that I had a duff Pi but it was confirmed that at the mo ("..and after all its only been out two weeks...") that is all that it will run until the developers get around to giving it a good hard kick in the EEPROM. At the mo there is no info on the boot sequence for the new BCM2711 and I can't be bothered to try and reverse engineer it so that means I won't be able to see how well or not Windows 10 Pro would run on it.

If you only want Raspbian you'll be fine. The thing runs hot on the desktop so will be even hotter in a case. Both SSH and VNC seen solid and stable so will run headless all day even after VNC time out it still comes back to life.

>>>>>>>> Update.

Ah Ha! I guess bootcode.bin is there for the earlier Pi models:-

"The Raspberry Pi 4 has an SPI-attached EEPROM (4MBits/512KB), which contains code to boot up the system and replaces bootcode.bin previously found in the boot partition of the SD card. Note that if a bootcode.bin is present in the boot partition of the SD card in a Pi 4, it is ignored."

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back