advertisement

Raspberry Pi 3B+ and Picoreplayer/LMS configure error 403

Operajulian

Julian
Well after years of dealing with 1970's era hifi - I thought during lock down it was time to learn a new skill ( or more ).
After reading lots online, I ordered a Raspberry Pi based Allo Boss player last week. It arrived today after a six day trip from Mumbai via Dubai/Nashville then Toronto ! Well packed but no instructions.
Delivery via Fedex and Canadian import charges make it much more expensive that I'd first thought it would be.

Of course, I have been reading lots about Picore set up and after a few hours I am getting there - I think.
Picore player etched to Micro Sd card.
Connected Pi to MacBook Air with an Apple/USB ethernet adaptor & cable.
Set up internet sharing on the Apple Macbook.

Eventually found IP address of Pi and logged into that.
Did various things in Pi Core Player set up as suggested on Picore help pages.
Installed additional file support.
Resized the SD card.
Installed LMS.
However.......
Each time I try to Configure LMS - I get a 403 Forbidden message.
I tried via the "button" on the Picore webpage and also by using the :9000 port.

Now I am stuck.
Any wise advice out there ?

Much appreciated.
Julian

Thanks Jem
I will try that forum but having read some of the threads of that forum - its very geeky :)
I am going to have to study up on shh and Putty.....and stuff like that.
Cheers
Julian

Last edited:
I would set up the WiFi on the PI3 to connect to your access point/router, I'm assuming you have WiFi :) shutdown the PI, unplug the network cable and reboot.

Let the PI connect on to the WiFi. Find the IP addr of the PI from your router and connect to it from your MacBook over the WiFi.

Or, shut down the PI, connect with a network cable to your router, restart...

Which PIcoreplayer version are you using? 6.1 non-audio optimised one?

Hi why are you direct connecting with your macbook?

Start again but hook the picore up to your router via a cable then configure over lan

Thanks a bunch for the replies so far.

The reason for the direct connection was that the main hi fi is in the basement and the Bell router is upstairs !
So this morning I moved the Pi, monitor, more cables etc upstairs and directly plugged the Pi into the back of the router - that did allow access to LMS configure. Hurrah.

However, I am now many feet/metres away from a hi fi preamp input !

Still got some set-up to work through including trying to get the Pi to go wireless.
I have entered the Wifi settings in Pi Core Player but it does not seem to find it.

Lots of learning along the way.
Cheers
Julian

When you have the PI wired to your router, and accessing its web config through your MacBook, on the WiFi page I'm sure there's a scan button to find WiFi networks, you may need to access the advanced tab from the bottom of the PIcoreplayer's WiFi web page.

The scan should find your WiFi network, select and add the password...

Does this help https://www.picoreplayer.org/how_to_setup_wifi.shtml

Thanks Chilly :)

I thought that was what I had done...I will work through that set up again and see if I went wrong somewhere.
I will report back - J

Another couple of hours and it's working !
In LMS I needed to double click in browse for the software to see the folder that the music files were located.
Initiated a Rescan and 26 minutes later all the songs were there in LMS.
( over 25,000 of them )
Then I realize that the IP address for the Wifi is different to the one for the router - duh.
Logged into Picore via the Wifi IP.

Took the plunge and spent another $11.99 on I Peng 9 for my iphone.

Relocated the Pi on top of my old Quad FM3. Connected the Boss DAC into the Radio 2 input of the pre-amp.
Started I - Peng app on the phone. It found the piCorePlayer.
Picked a track and we are off and running.
Bit of Mull Historical Society " Public Service Announcement" purely for the lyric - "can anyone hear my stereo is on ? "

OK I hear the new hifi listeners cringing....BUT it sounds amazing through a Quad 303 and JR149 speakers that are probably 45 years older than the Pi.

Onto some Fela Kuti next to see how the that sax into on "Gentleman" sounds :)
Thanks for everyones help.

Ah technology steep curve.
All is good.
Julian

Hopefully a pic link:
https://ibb.co/2d046bg

Took the plunge and spent another $11.99 on I Peng 9 for my iphone.
You won’t regret it. iPeng is excellent and the support is second to none.

One thing I have found handy (because things do go pear-shaped once in a while) is an in-line switch in the 5V power line to the Pi. Click off, count to ten, click on again, wait for reboot, problem sorted. Saves unplugging the adaptor or the micro USB socket on the board. And no program corruption as it is all held in memory!

Interesting thread as I am planning a similar project this winter. The Picoreplayer step by step does suggest initially connecting direct to your router for the first setup stages. Looks like the learning curve is a wee bit steep. I think patience is going to be required before you get your new toy working properly.

From what I've heard the results are worth it.

Interested in the new Hifiberry DAC 2HD, don't want to be an early adopter so will wait a while to see what people think of the new DAC.

Hi again:
Hope you are in for a long read - I feel a bit of a lockdown hifi fever setting in.

Julian’s Picore Player set up list as at 31st July 2020

This is my best attempt at listing the process of getting the Allo Boss Player to work….

I was inspired by a video on John Darko’s webpages thought his video is very “light” on technical details.

It’s on You Tube here:

Did lots of other reading on the topic.

Purchased Allo Boss Player from allo.com
With shipping it cost me US$196 ( converted via credit card company to CDN$275 - eek)
Canadian customs/duty etc added another CDN$45.49.

It took six days for FEDEX to deliver ( Mumbai/Dubai/Nashville/Mississauga/Toronto, tracking is interesting). Packed well though no instructions what so ever in the box – it’s all online these days.

The player is a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and their BOSS DAC in a machined metal box.
It comes with a basic 5v power supply and different adaptors to power up via the Pi or the DAC.
( I might upgrade this at a later time )

Their 16GB Micro SD card can be ordered with different operating systems, though in this instance, I chose to go with Picore Player v.6.1.0 instead.
I purchased locally a 32GB V10 Micro SD card from Staples at a cheapish price – CDN$25.98
( I thought I might as well get a slightly larger GB than actually needed as it was only a couple of dollars more)

( In my case all the next steps are using MacBook Air computer)

I downloaded Picore Player zip file and unzipped it to get image file.
I downloaded SD Card Formatter for Mac from the web.
I downloaded Balena Etcher from the web.

I installed SD Card Formatter.
I used an adaptor that came with the micro SD and plugged the card into my computer.
I formatted the SD making sure I really was formatting the SD card and not any other drive !

I installed Balena etcher.
I used Balena etcher to make / move the piCorePlayer img file over to the new card.

I ejected the SD card and then removed the card from the Mac.

When the BOSS player arrived, I swapped the Micro SD card they had in the slot for the new one with Picore on it.
Then I used an ethernet cable and an Apple ethernet/USB adaptor to connect the Pi to my computer.

I had a spare large monitor and used an HDMI cable to connect this to the Pi.
This turned out the be useful in set up as I could then see what the Pi and software was doing ( or not ).

I then powered up the Pi and used a programme called IP Scanner to find the IP address of the Pi.
I then typed the IP address into my browser ( the dreaded Google ).

It will be similar to 192.168.x.xx

The browser tab landed on the Picore player intro page. Hurrah.

Then using instruction pages from Picore I started the further set up.
https://www.picoreplayer.org/how_to_install_lms.shtml

And now the challenges…..
I did have to resize the Micro SD card and used a 300MB Partition as suggested in the “how to” pages.

I worked my way through all the settings ….though I did not set a Fixed IP address.

I did install the additional File Support files as the USB HDD was earlier formatted as an NFTS drive.

This HDD has all my music files in a Directory called SHARED. It was created much earlier as a back-up.

Each artist has their own sub-directory and another sub directory for each album.

Then the first challenge.
The button for Configure LMS would only get me a 403 Forbidden message in return.

I also tried the typing IP address followed by :9000

No such luck.
Gave up for the night – posted a couple of message boards to see if others could give me a clue.

Next morning it was suggested that I disconnect the Apple Etherent and put the PI direct into the back of my router.
Thanks to other PFM chums.
BINGO that worked.

Continued the set up of LMS and mounting the USB HDD.
Make sure you remember the Directory name where you have the music files.

Added Picore Player to LMS.
Logged into LMS with the :9000 address

Went to Settings section of LMS at the bottom left of that screen.

Clicked on the Plug-Ins tab
Added Plug Ins like BBC Radio and Material skin.

Saved –& rebooted……

No sign of any music files – bah.

Went to the Basic Setting tab of LMS.

Added to Media Files the folder where my song files are.
In my case:
/mnt/SHARED/SHARED. - yours might be different

The used Rescan button and the files were found – success after 26 minutes of scanning.
Clicked Apply and Close.

Success for that bit – songs appeared in main LMS screen.
( Some of the artwork and other tags could be better – another upcoming task to correct those )

Watching this You Tube video from Eyerex was very useful. Though it’s mainly about the touch screen set up there are lots of details about setting up LMS, Wifi and more

Now for the WiFi bit.
Used the WiFi tab in Picore player to add the details of my SSID and password.
Could not get this to work………

Though I did find out that WPK password is in effect the same as WPA2. My router is set as WPA2.

More learning.

Then I did another IP Scanner.
Two IP address and an “aha” moment.

One IP for the Ethernet connection and one for the WFfi.
Rebooted the Pi and whilst the power was down, unplugged the ethernet cable.
It restarted and I logged into the IP address for the WiFi.
That worked.

So Allo Boss now mostly set up.

Over to control via the IPhone.

I downloaded the I-Peng app for another $6.99
Once installed on the I Phone it did find the Picore Player and the music files – woah, it's magic.

So it’s time to connect to the vintage Quad system. Quad 33/303 & JR149 speakers.

Low and behold music through the main living room hifi system.

Can also “see” BBC Radio, CBC Radio and many other stations around the world.

After blasting some music, I took great pleasure in listening to the online radio via the BOSS Player.

Time for The Archers podcast. Have a sandwich and a beer time.

I did adjust a few of the I-Peng audio settings to get a level of volume that seems best for my level of listening. It was a bit low at first and the Pre-Amp volume had to be high. I found a good mix of volumes across the devices after a bit of listening.

So how does it sound ?
So far it’s great plus very convenient to just change songs and go over to the radio via my phone.
Will it get better ? I hope so.

Is it worth the cost ?

Allo Boss CDN$ 275 ( inc basic power supply and FEDEX )
Customs Duty CDN$45.49
New Micro SD card CDN$25.98
I Peng App CDN$6.99
TOTAL: CDN $353.96
About UK202

I already had a WD Hard Drive with all my music files on it and various cables.
Should I get a Raspberry Touch Screen and case – that can wait.

I probably could have bought a new DAC like a Modi Schitt for less and used it with signal from an Apple Express or Chromecast but I am thinking I will enjoy the future listening.

Hope this is useful.

All the best - off to some safe mask free lockdown listening.
Julian

Two things Julian :)

Make a copy of your SD card, look for Apple Pi baker on the Mac (reduce the size of the copy if possible)

With LMS installed on the pi, it is preferable to shutdown the pi properly (to avoid possible corruption of the card) if/when you need to.

ronnie

Just in case you don't know...
The Music and Artist plugin can provide info on the artist, album and song lyrics.
You can connect to the Material skin from your mobile device - it has a 'mobile skin'. So you can control the player this way if you want. It's what I use.

Update in mid October.
I got around to adding the Air Bridge plug in and after a bit of pfaffing around ( the developers instructions are a bit tough for lack of my computer brain ) I finally got it to work.
In LMS with Material skin - I can switch between "players" in the top left corner of the screen.
The Picore player is still outputting via the Allo DAC.

It recognized both of my Airport Express - one in the kitchen ( very old ) and one ( more recent ) in the main system.
I can even play back different music tracks on each of them at the same time - or syncronize them to play the same thing.
Can control it all from an Apple laptop, my I Phone and a Kindle Fire.

Amazing trickery for some one who was brought up in an age of long playing records and huge gramophones in the corner of the living room.

Cheers everyone.
Julian

PS I should add that I also spent many hours in MP3 Tag software correcting and updating all the music files. That was a tedious chore too but lessons learned for future rips.

advertisement

Back