advertisement

Rasp Pi 4, Roon and MDAC

hc25036

pfm Member
I need help! (Probably in so many ways as Mrs hc25036 would add).

I’ve had Pi 3b with a screen and the ropieee software for ROON working with my MDAC (Lakewest firmware) on the USB connection for as many years as the Pi3b has been available. Thought it was time to try the Pi4 as some have said it tidies up the sound a bit.

Certainly seemed to do that on my test rig with a Beresford DAC (I’ll reserve judgement until a proper test), but with the MDAC the sound is popping like a pan full of popcorn.

The obvious answer is to switch back to the 3b, but that would be admitting defeat! Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone know if the Lakewest MDAC filters have any effect on the USB connection?

Hi HC, were you able to get a fix for this issue? I'm having something similar happening to me with an Asus Tinkerboard running volumio. If I plug a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC the sound is ok, but with the MDAC the pops do show up.

Trying a USB 2.0 Hub didn't help

IIRC Pi4 has two USB 2.0 ports and two USB3.0 ports, check that you are not using the 3.0 ports as 3.0 has an issue sometimes with audio. Failing that hopefully John will fly in with his tin foil cape to sort it out.

I’ve had Pi 3b with a screen and the ropieee software for ROON working with my MDAC (Lakewest firmware) on the USB connection for as many years as the Pi3b has been available. Thought it was time to try the Pi4 as some have said it tidies up the sound a bit.

Certainly seemed to do that on my test rig with a Beresford DAC (I’ll reserve judgement until a proper test), but with the MDAC the sound is popping like a pan full of popcorn.

The obvious answer is to switch back to the 3b, but that would be admitting defeat! Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone know if the Lakewest MDAC filters have any effect on the USB connection?

Try using a hat and toslink connection - if that works fine it's your fix as you have an electrical isolation issue. Switching between pi boards won't make a jot of difference to the sound but the UI might be a bit snappier.

Apologies if I am hijacking this thread.

I am also looking at building a pi streamer.

You seem to be able to buy a pi4 starter pack, hifi Berry digi plus pro and case for around £140 — and if this works well would be a bit of a bargain.

The pi4 starter comes with the 'NOOBS' operating system - what software compatible with NOOBS is best used for streaming from a NAS and tidal?

Apologies if I am hijacking this thread.

I am also looking at building a pi streamer.

You seem to be able to buy a pi4 starter pack, hifi Berry digi plus pro and case for around £140 — and if this works well would be a bit of a bargain.

The pi4 starter comes with the 'NOOBS' operating system - what software compatible with NOOBS is best used for streaming from a NAS and tidal?

Start a new thread :rolleyes: and read up on what NOOBs is, at the raspberry pi forum

ronnie

Use your 3b. Don’t think the 4 adds anything really and I’d be immensely surprised if the sound quality improved.

With some regret I stuck with the Pi4 and sold the MDAC on here. Probably no improvement on the sound quality - I still have Pi3b elsewhere in the house, but felt it was time to move on. Stuck with the same designer and moved to one of the Pro-ject DACs and very happy with it.

I use the usb input and it seems in some cases mdac doesn’t play nice with usb3 devices. It was solvable, but it was also an excuse to try something else!

advertisement

Back