Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Radu Lupu RIP

Discussion in 'classical' started by spiderbox, Apr 19, 2022.

1. spiderbox

spiderbox pfm Member

Sad loss.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve just nudged this into the classical section. Sad loss indeed. RIP.

3. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

4. philiphifi

philiphifi pfm Member

One of the best

5. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

6. rough edges

rough edges Sapere Aude

Sad news indeed. He truly was one of the greats. RIP.

7. Shuggie

Shuggie Trade: Ammonite Audio

He was indeed one of the best. In particular, his 1973 performances of Schumann's and Grieg's piano concertos with Andrew Preview and the LSO, on Decca, are just wonderful.

k90tour likes this.
  8. adamdea

adamdea You are not a sound quality evaluation device

9. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

My favourite recording of his - the 1969 Leeds competition recital

10. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

And a valedictory final encore - he certainly looks as though he’s been through the mill.

11. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

pjstarkey, PsB and k90tour like this.
  12. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

These days I discovered this:

https://open.spotify.com/album/3yyr2GtH9HxxYh05Bh9tQB?si=vFYIiOFETI62KH8YlV2XiA

For the past 30 years, Kreisleriana and Kinderszenen were Horowitz territory for me. And some here know how much I adore Horowitz (it is an obsession).

Lupu tops him, it’s wonderful in every way. Listening to his Kinderszenen you can see kids play in front of you, not many pianists manage this. Clara Haskil maybe ?

13. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Lupu’s recording of Humoreske is also very good. I too like Horowitz’s in Kreisleriana - there are many many recordings of him playing it, some outstanding ones from Carnegie Hall concerts. I haven’t really explored Kinderszenen so much - I heard it in concert quite recently (Janina Fialkowska) and it was really impressive.)