advertisement

Radio Three at 19:30 hours 21/05/2019. Beethoven Concert.

George J

Herefordshire member
Britten Sinfonia conducted by Thomas Ades. Beethoven Symphonies Seven and Eight, with a new concerto.

In my view, if you have the time, this will be worth tuning into.

Best wishes from George

I enjoyed the concert! Worth waiting for. The Eighth Symphony was a real Tour de force!

You can catch up on BBC Sounds of course!

Best wishes from George

PS: I must add that I was told about this a while ago by a friend [poster here on PFM], who heard these performers in Norwich playing two other Beethoven Symphonies, and much delighted by them. They are doing the Choral Symphony in Norwich this Saturday I think.

They are doing the Choral Symphony in Norwich this Saturday I think.

I didn't know until the broadcast this evening. A quick check for tickets and of course it's 'sold out' and probably has been for some time. I enjoyed the Beethoven symphonies, but couldn't get on with the Gerald Barry viola concerto.

I thought the Seventh, which is my favourite Beethoven Symphony, started very well but the last movement was taken too fast and became garbled - this is a feature of too many performances, Karajan 1951 and Carlos Kleiber are among the few that get it right - in my opinion, of course.

I had to turn the Gerald Barry off after 3 minutes and so got sidetracked and missed the Eighth - must catch it on Iplayer.

advertisement

Back