Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Radio paradise MQA

Discussion in 'audio' started by JLN, Apr 6, 2021.

1. JLN

JLN pfm Member

Just upgraded my bluos 2i module in C388 amp and this turned up. Probably imagining it but it does sound fantastic!

radamel and Getgaff like this.
  2. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

Don't know about MQA, but their FLACM stream sounds lovely here and displays track/artist info.

sunbeamgls likes this.
  3. JLN

JLN pfm Member

The MQA stream I think is exclusive to bluos at the moment and where available streams in hi-res 24 bit. Also has artwork track artist etc, sounds really good, always enjoyed the FLAC stream which sounded very good too.

4. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Depends whether you believe MQA sounds better really. I was fairly non plussed when I heard it through Tidal and an equipped Dac.

5. Getgaff

Getgaff pfm Member

Just updated the firmware on my Node 2i and now have the RP MQA streams.

6. JLN

JLN pfm Member

Nice give them a go, sounding good here on a NAD C388 and Quadral Chromium 8s

7. the caretaker

the caretaker pfm Member

Good word ' non plussed ' thankyou...

Del monaco likes this.
  8. Zombie

Zombie pfm Member

Still puzzled by what the point of MQA might be.

julifriend and Dan K like this.
  9. jobseeker

jobseeker pfm Member

Hopefully we can avoid repeating that discussion (again) here :)

Chris Marshall and Amber Audio like this.
  10. Ian Austen

Ian Austen pfm Member

A plan to bolster Bob Stuart's superannuation prospects?

11. Spraggons Den

Spraggons Den pfm Member

Always enjoyed the sound of RP. It’s one of the best stations to have on when I am at home but unable to do serious listening to my Hi-Fi.

Zagreus, steveinspain and Ian Austen like this.
  12. Zombie

Zombie pfm Member

Haven't seen any dicscussion about what the point of MQA is. A lot of bashing, though.

13. Craig B

Something to do with bank note origami. IIANM.

[​IMG]

14. Zombie

Zombie pfm Member

Obviously nobody knows the point of MQA. Second time I ask, but get the same bs. Otherwise this site is full of knowitalls.

Jeff Anderson and Darren like this.
  15. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

Threads on MQA like cables and DACs results in the inevitable people posting the same stuff so seems pointless bringing them up. There is an interesting article by Sound on Sound mag if you have a bit of time to kill
    https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/mqa-time-domain-accuracy-digital-audio-quality

It appears pretty complicated in what/how it works, the basic premise seems to be that digital recordings have time errors due to filters which are more harmful than was expected and MQA tries to improve things by using fancy time alignment techniques.

Personally I prefer Qobuz to Tidal and was never bowled over by any of the familiar albums I streamed on Tidal MQA compared to my CD rips. Saying that I am hedging my bets and made sure the latest DAC I bought was MQA capable.

16. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Hare today gone tomorrow ?

SACD
    DSD
    DVD Audio
    HDCD
    24 Bit Hi-Res

Some of the above formats folded before they were even unfolded.

All of course promised audio Nirvana, in some new previously unattainable way.

Craig B likes this.
  17. Craig B

18. Zombie

Zombie pfm Member

Sounds complicated, but I might be among "some listeners may find the technical defects of MQA encoding subjectively pleasing". :D

jobseeker and Craig B like this.
  19. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Updated my Node 2i this morning - can't here any difference but my Qutest turns yellow instead of red - which is nice.:)

Zombie likes this.
  20. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

MQA is a strange choice over FLAC for a streaming site that had to pay for bandwidth