advertisement

Radio apps

Robert M

pfm Member
Morning all, what radio apps do you use on your mobile phone/hifi. I use Radio Ireland FM, BBC Sounds, Radio UK.
BBC sounds is the best, Radio UK is good for quick access to lots of stations, and i listen to a few popular and news station on Ireland FM.

The wife uses RNE (national Spanish radio) to increase her exposure to the language but has fairly frequent cut offs in the service although we have fibre optics internet.

I've tried a few & my current selection is Radio UK although that does seem to just cut off from time to time, TuneIn radio, mainly for old nostalgic stuff like Laser hot hits & pirate stations of the sixties but all these seem to have been stopped now :( & Radio United kingdom. However from time to time it's also great to listen to stations from other countries such as the states & Australia.

As an alternative to Radio Paradise, which is great give JB Radio-2 a try which is similar in many ways but perhaps sound quality wise may be even better, depending on your lugs/system etc.

Cheers…..Dave

My phone does a decent FM radio which doesn't use data, another option for UK radio. Has to use headphones as an aerial.

Some phones aren't capable; i think those with very modern chips.

On my phone, I have these radio apps;

RAI3
BR-Klassik
Radio France
WDR
rbb Kultur
NDR Kultur

A legal ruling a couple of years back meant that Bluesound is not able to offer radio stations outside a user's country within their native app, but all of the above can be cast to the Bluesound Node (whereas other radio apps such as SWR2 don't permit this). In terms of quality, most radio stations are still engaging in the loudness wars, with only BBC R3 and BR-Klassik seeming to offer appreciably better quality. (If you know different, please let me know!). It would be great if RAI3 and France Musique could improve their streaming quality, as their content deserves it.

Perhaps not the best for absolute sound quality - but just brilliant for whiling away the hours - is the magnificent "Radio Garden" app.

Give it a go ...

As an alternative to Radio Paradise, which is great give JB Radio-2 a try which is similar in many ways but perhaps sound quality wise may be even better, depending on your lugs/system etc.

Cheers…..Dave

Nice one! Just set this up on the Rpi and giving it a try.

Edit: Sadly I'm having this issue on my Rpi (Moode), so will have to go to MP3 or no metadata :(:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/jb-radio-plays-one-song-then-stops/109688/12

Edit 2: Seems fine on 320K

Seems like some of the recommendations are for Apps and some are for actual radio stations.

Cheers…..Dave

This does sound good! InnuOS not liking it though - it plays for a while, then I lose connection and have to reboot. Shame.

Always been positively surprised by Radio Paradise’s eclectic mix.
Will try JB Radio-2 now. thanks for tip!

BBC Sounds. Superb SQ on R2, R3 and R6 which between them covers all my interests in BBC radio output. Unfortunately some interesting progs on the likes of R Scotland and some other regional stations are not of acceptable SQ. Neither is the only R1 show of any interest, The David Rodigan Show. Not too much of a miss as there is WAY too much modern shite "dancehall" and "drum n bass" etc etc that veers towards EDM and therefore unlistenable.

Soma FM is decent too - various stations to suit different tastes. I have the Groove Salad (Ambient), Indie and Black Rock channels favourited.

advertisement

Back