advertisement

Radio 3 - Freeness show

The new R3 jazz show has arrived with a firm emphasis on free-er side of things as the name suggests. I'm really enjoying listening to the first episode on catch-up: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000b074

New Seb Rochford group and the Art Ensemble of Chicago are coming up in next few weeks.

It's only an hour once a week (in the graveyard slot) but great to have this kind of music on the radio.

Thanks for the tip off. Am only just getting into BBC Sounds.

Will def check this one out..!

R3 is on quite a bit these days - during more relaxed times - I can take neither R4 nor R3 after work, the former most especially since the election was announced - GIVE ME STRENGTH.
R3 is far more varied and catholic than I remember or imagined. Programmes in general contain quite a bit of jazz and also show music, A great deal is very listenable, if you are in the right frame of mind, although I have to admit to catching no more than trailers for the specifically jazz offerings - I must try to catch up on whatever they now call iPlayer...……………...

Radio 3 has actually cut back on it's jazz and left-field music programming this year. Jazz Now (the replacement for the long running Jazz On 3 show) ended in September and Late Junction was cut from three nights a week to one. So this new show goes part way to address that. There is also a New Music show on Saturday nights focussing on contemporary classical music.

advertisement

Back