advertisement

Radikal PS for LP12 - s/h unit just home from dealers and no sign of life

NickofWimbledon

pfm Member
I got home with s/h LP12 Stiletto and Radikal today. Step 2 is plugging LP12 into Radikal and plugging the Radikal into the mains. The result is nothing - no light and no motion.

I tried different socket and a different power lead - you never know. Nothing.

Is there a hidden on-off switch or does this sound rather as if a fuse has blown between Infidelity’s last test of everything and my getting it home?

All comments gratefully received - the shop is not open on Sunday or Monday…

I love the fact that it took you less than 5 mins after posting to find the solution yourself. There must be some motivation factor built into a pfm post . As a matter of interest, how long did you fret about it before posting?

40 minutes of trying different cables, punctuated by calming tea breaks.

This morning I need to sort out a buzz on one channel. I think ‘s the fault of the hardly-any-metal RCAs on the Phonopipe lead…

it was the second tea that brought inspiration.

Now I need to sort out that loud buzz - I hope it’s the Phonopipe and it’s daft/ incompatible RCA plugs.
Sounds like you might have a ground loop. Is everything plugged into the same mains socket?

Sounds like you might have a ground loop. Is everything plugged into the same mains socket?

A ground loop explanation sounds very plausible, and I'll try the NDX2's ground switch next to see if that helps, but none of that changed between no-buzz old LP12 and loud-buzz Stiletto.

A ground loop explanation sounds very plausible, and I'll try the NDX2's ground switch next to see if that helps, but none of that changed between no-buzz old LP12 and loud-buzz Stiletto.

Flipping between Default and Floating settings on the NDX2 seems to have no impact. Next will be a trip to any hi-fi shop that is opn on Monday and can sell me RCA-BNC adaptors - if they help markedly, then we know what he problem is.

Nick, it is either a failed headshell lead or the Phonopipe not making an earth contact with the Superline. Does the hum change if you touch the headshell? If so, it’s the headshell lead. The Superline’s WBTs phono sockets are quite fussy. I’ve got what amounts to a T Kable with WBT plugs on it. I’m sure a standard T Kable will be fine though.

advertisement

Back