advertisement

Radford STA25 rebuild pics

Arkless Electronics

Trade: Amp design and repairs.
As promised in the main Radford STA25 thread... and in spite of the memory I have of definitely having posted this before about 2 years ago... It ain't here now!

xDI2wbN.jpg

This was it when I received it and had just started to take it apart. It has new boards from Radford Revival but has been messed about with to the extent that it had to be stripped and start again. There are wiring errors and electrolytic caps the wrong way round amongst all sorts of other problems.

eOzKq1U.jpg

A bit later...

9ugrwrP.jpg

Original wiring to OPT's which had to be re-done.

YuN0CJd.jpg

This was a particularly fiddly bit.... rewiring of the speaker impedance switches... unusually complicated as the Radford uses all the windings simultaneously at each setting to give best usage of the available winding area and lowest copper losses etc . It also switches in a different feedback network for each impedance.

Gjd3rvy.jpg

Self explanatory really...

Jcp2lI7.jpg

Rewired OPT's

0aHSvUT.jpg

MwcOBAB.jpg

vdMPmYq.jpg

waJujLC.jpg

z3nMULK.jpg

And various stages of reassembly etc culminating in last photo of completed amplifier with various new capacitors, resistors and all board faults repaired plus all rewiring etc completed.

I’d have remembered it if you had as I always read classic room restorations! It wasn’t here on pfm for sure.

Yeah I guess you're right... I came to the same conclusion but it's one of those "weird ones" as I actually remember posting it!... False memory I guess... It was up on AOS, and not that long before I moved here, and as it was a big job with great results I remember deciding that it should be here as well and thinking "bollox I'll have to do this again from scratch..."
I'll blame it on age...:rolleyes:

Thanks Jez, there's certainly a big difference between the 'before' and 'after' photographs <grin>.

One question, I'm assuming the two main boards are left and right channels. Why does the board on the left have an extra capacitor? It looks like there may be other differences too - a bit like those 'spot the difference' puzzles they used to have in comics.

Thanks Jez, there's certainly a big difference between the 'before' and 'after' photographs <grin>.

One question, I'm assuming the two main boards are left and right channels. Why does the board on the left have an extra capacitor? It looks like there may be other differences too - a bit like those 'spot the difference' puzzles they used to have in comics.

It was while ago but IIRC it's the supply for a Radford pre-amp.

How cool is that. Thanks for sharing Jez :)

So, if I were to buy one of these...., how much would it cost.... nope, must stop buying stuff... Not going there. lol

advertisement

Back