Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS] Radford STA25 Mkiii Power Amp

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Martian Sunrise, Apr 4, 2022.

1. The Bish

The Bish pfm Member

That sounds like a great setup, that’s with a 12bh7a linestage? Would love to hear the RR STA25.

GF670 likes this.
  2. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

The Croft may be zero gain but that doesn’t mean it’s ‘passive’ … a good thing in my view.

GF670 likes this.
  3. Hooch500

Hooch500 pfm Member

Utter tripe. A pre amp is a device that allows control of the gain. Obviously there are statements which can be made on an objective basis regarding the merits of any amplification technology. You don't make any.
    Well at least you qualified your statement.

4. TheMarlin

TheMarlin pfm Member

I’d like to hear this bake-off. Same STA25, same speakers (Tannoys) and a digital and analogue source, and passive Vs powered pre.

ff1d1l likes this.
  5. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

And your scientific justification for the phrase 'utter tripe' is?

A true believer indeed. Jesus loves me for a sunbeam.

A pre-amp presupposes amplification. A switch box with some passive means of attenuation is not a preamp, except in very lazy casual speech.

Dan K likes this.
  6. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

Been there, done that, no contest ... but would be happy to stage something into my Tannoys if anyone is interested. Passive box of your choosing vs my Audiopax Model 5. It's an STA100 though rather than STA25.

7. TheMarlin

TheMarlin pfm Member

Same here, but we’re of completely different opinions on this. Nothing wrong with that, Hifi isn’t vanilla, and we all like different things.

Could be fun to listen to both, and discuss opinions in real time.

Are there any regular bake-offs via this site? I’ve seen them discussed over on other Hifi forums.

Cheers

Marlin

8. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

It's been a long while since I held anything 'open' ... like many I guess I have hifi mates round quite regularly but generally a the same small two or three regular groups of people. That's not to say we all agree on everything either!

9. GF670

GF670 pfm Member

Yes, the 25R has a 12bh7a line stage and upgraded caps etc. They seem a really nice match.

10. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

Hi MS,

Did you ever decide to sell this amp in the end?

11. Martian Sunrise

Martian Sunrise pfm Member

I haven't sold it. At the moment, I have a Croft 25R(S?) here on loan. It sounds really good and seems to match pretty well. I've not had too long with it, but i am pretty impressed.

12. adamski505

adamski505 pfm Member

Go see David Coe and get the Satchmo pre 2 with her, a great great combo Richie ;)

13. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

Having heard David's preamp with STA25 on many occasions I would second this - killer combo.