advertisement

Radford SC22 Preamp PSU

I've now built my PSU into a really cheap utilitarian steel case bought on eBay which matches the utilitarian look of the SC22, and I went for captive mains and HT leads so as to avoid cutting an IEC socket hole, and because I couldn't find an octal chassis socket that didn't 'worry' me. Plugged it in, the SC22 lit up and connected it between my phono stage and my power amps, and it sounds very nice indeed. I'm suspecting it may be light in the bass, but as things are connected at the moment I cannot use my subwoofer with the Quads so that may be why I'm thinking this. What I was expecting was for the SC22 to be a bit 'murky' but it's not at all. Very pleasantly surprised, and no hum whatsoever which is also a bonus.

Great - as I said earlier I really like the SC22/STA15 sound. In fact as I have recently got hold of a Tisbury, I might use that to tame my CD and DAC outputs and try using the Radford combo downstream of it.

Anyone who says 'why not ditch the SC22 and just use the Tisbury and STA15' is officially No Fun.

Last edited:
It seems that a Hammond 261GE6 fits the bill. Just about the right size to fit into the power cage too. I'll be attempting this in a couple of weeks.

Majestic Transformers UK also have or will make one for this application. Slightly smaller than the Hammond, too.

advertisement

Back