advertisement

Rachmaninov piano concerto no2 best sounding version on vinyl

Subharmonicon

pfm Member
I have the john ogden and ashkenaziy on Decca both first runs but wondering if there are even better versions I should look out for?

I’m sure a lot of great recommendations will be incoming, especially modern ones, but my go to copy is the 1960 Richter on DGG. Not necessarily for sound quality, more it being the version I know best. This one, but I have it on vinyl.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I don't think it's the best SQ by Decca standards of the time, but my favourite recording is Ashkenazy/Previn from the 70s. Not sure what the best sounding version of vinyl might be...

That Richter is wonderful. On vinyl you can find the coupling Tony linked to, or the Schumann (breathtaking). There's also an issue where the record is (I assume) cut louder with just the first 2 movements on the A side and the finale plus some preludes on the B. I have both these but haven't compared the SQ.

If you can find a nice copy of Byron Janis on Mercury, that's a wonderful rendition (I only have it on CD).

The Ogden is a wonderful performance too!

I've not got any modern digital recordings on vinyl...

advertisement

Back