advertisement

R U going to the Barber's ...?

Walked past the local barbers on the way home yesterday evening and they were open and with only one other customer so I popped in. The three barbers were all wearing surgical style gloves, face masks and visors. They were also regularly wiping down anything and everything so was happy to have my hair cut.

Useless anyway unless to the correct spec, changed regularly, face fitted, trained person, blah blah blah. The protection most masks offer is as effective as a condom in a gunfight.

I am tempted to use an old white full face Arai motorcycle helmet plus silk scarf when answering the door. The days of putting parcels at the door and retreating seem to be over. They want photos now, so I will give them a treat...:D

in the booth pushing buttons behind a screen? or out on the forecourt filling up the cars?

[Edit for clarity: Wearing a face mask]. That will be next to useless with a face full of fuzz - i wish your customers good luck......

Yes, "pushing the buttons" as you put it, and yes, behind a nice perspex screen while taking payments. But that is only the one half of it really.

Shelves to stock, forecourt bins [full of disposed, disposable gloves, and other detritus] to empty, etc., and mostly very nice responsible patrons. Though there are some I would describe less charitably ...

As for face mask wearing, I have some decent quality masks now, that fit well. I does not take genius level ability to fit a mask properly. In spite of the barber thing, I remain clean shaven, a skill I learned a very long time ago when the order of the day was razor blades in a razor with two closing clasps on top operated via a screw turn at the end of the handle.

Strangely, I converted to disposables years ago when my luggage landed in Budapest, while I was flying to Oslo! It only took three days for me to collect my suitcase from Moss railway station in the Ostfold [Norway], but by then I was used to the emergency disposable overnight bag SAS gave me along with profuse apologies for the luggage mistake. I wonder if that level service would be the norm today. Not with Easyjet, I suspect.

Anyway these days I shave with soapy lather and BIC disposables. Cheap and cheerful!

Best wishes from George

Last edited:

advertisement

Back