advertisement

R.I.P. Billy Woodman

So sorry to hear this. I'm on my third pair of ATCs. The speakers designed/developed/ manufactured by Billy and ATC have contributed significantly to my enjoyment of and insight into recorded music since the late 90s. That means I've spent an awful lot of my waking hours since then, thinking, "God, that sounds wonderful".

Thank you Billy, long may your legacy continue.

Just heard the news. RIP Bill. I’ve been a fan for years, but he leaves things in good hands

I actually thought I heard the news of his death a year back or something. Someone must have been misinformed and spread the news.

So sad to hear yet another legend of British audio is lost. Deepest condolences to family and friends.
I can't claim to have much dealings with ATC but the reputation alone speaks volumes as does the longevity.

The lovely thing about him was that he was a real engineer, unconcerned about fads and trends. He understood, as few do, that the key to loudspeaker design lies in the motor unit, where electric stuff turns into particle velocity, and if you get that right, then all that follows has to work less hard. Ben Lilly is a fine follow-up.

The lovely thing about him was that he was a real engineer, unconcerned about fads and trends. He understood, as few do, that the key to loudspeaker design lies in the motor unit, where electric stuff turns into particle velocity, and if you get that right, then all that follows has to work less hard. Ben Lilly is a fine follow-up.
Absolutely. And Bob Polley too in a rather more direct way than the more visible Ben. There's an engineering-focussed interview with Bob here (in Greek but the automatic translations are good enough). If you are of a non-engineering disposition then I suggest perhaps not going there.

Thanks, I’d not seen that interview. I will admit I’d always put Bob down as on the sales side, which pings up the defences somewhat.

RIP!
ATC is one brand I will have to test here at some point. Listened to Lucinda Williams live on a massive active ATC speaker set-up on a dealer's private stereo two years ago. It was like being present at the concert. A wow(!) moment.

advertisement

Back