Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

R.I.P. Billy Woodman

Discussion in 'audio' started by AndyU, Aug 10, 2022.

1. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

From ATCs Facebook page…
    “I am extremely sad to announce the death of my Dad, ATC’s founder and owner, Billy Woodman.

Dad passed away peacefully surrounded by his family on 21 July 2022, aged 76 years old. Although Dad had suffered with a number of health issues over the years, he had always defied the odds and recovered, his death has been a shock to us all.

Dad founded ATC almost five decades ago. His principles, philosophies, and absolute commitment to achieving engineering excellence are the foundation on which ATC is built. At the heart of this was outstanding transducer design and engineering that focused on achieving the best sound reproduction possible.

Dad’s emphasis on running ATC as a family business has remained and under his leadership and guiding hand, we have ensured that ATC has continued to grow and succeed with the constant support of fellow Director and lifelong friend, Bob Polley.

Dad was an extraordinary man, not only gifted as an engineer but also as a jazz pianist and undertook exquisite restorations of vintage cars. He was truly an exceptional man in every aspect of his life. He was one of life’s true gentleman and leaves a remarkable legacy. He inspired many, not least me, in how he led his life, always with courage, kindness and generosity.

The loss of my Dad is profoundly felt by not just me, my darling mum, Mumble, his grandchildren, his family, and friends, but the entire ATC family that he created and very much loved.

My family would appreciate some privacy during this incredibly difficult time.

Yours faithfully,

Will Woodman
    Managing Director
    Loudspeaker Technology Ltd.”

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  2. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Very sad to hear, RIP.

ATC speakers have transformed my system in a way I never thought possible.

Sean K and AndyU like this.
  3. Mike1965

Mike1965 pfm Member

Sorry for your loss. RIP.

4. poco a poco

poco a poco I'm Jim

Very sad to hear this news. R.I.P.

5. Spraggons Den

Spraggons Den pfm Member

So sad to hear your news. We have lost a giant of British hifi.

6. John Phillips

John Phillips pfm Member

This is sad. RIP. His vision of what was wrong with loudspeaker drivers and his uncompromising focus on the engineering needed to remove their limitations can be seen in products from more than just ATC, and will live on.

Sean K and hifi-dog like this.
  7. cj66

cj66 pfm Member

Damn, RIP and condolences.
    I had the pleasure of meeting him at Stroud just the once, many years ago (25?) when I retailed ATC products that we all loved.

8. herb

herb brain's right hemisphere

Sad news. RIP. The ATC SIA2-150 integrated amp is revelation in my system and I admire the philosophy behind the active and passive ATC speakers.

AndyU likes this.
  9. canonman

canonman pfm Member

Another icon has sadly left us
    RIP

10. wintoid

wintoid pfm Member

Very sorry to read this. My condolences.

11. Very sad news, condolences to his family.

BB

12. Musicraft

Musicraft Trade: Musicraft

Our sincerest condolences go to Billy's family, friends and to ATC.

[​IMG]

TheDecameron, cb01 and JezmondTutu like this.
  13. DCS

DCS pfm Member

Very sad news, my condolences to family and friends.

14. TimF

TimF pfm Member

Ugh, not another. RIP Billy Woodman. All the best to family and friends.

15. amazement

amazement pfm Member

Very sad, met him on a factory tour about 13 years back.

16. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

RIP. Very sad, a giant, I hope the company stays true to his ideas and principles..
    I remember around 1976/7 International Musician and Recording world were running a massive PA drivers test over 2 months, all the best of the world were scrutinised(JBL, Gauss,Electro-Voice, Fane etc etc) and this little 9" ATC driver from a relatively unknown UK cottage industry spanked them all.

17. Bodiddly

Bodiddly Active Member

Very sorry to hear this sad news, my condolences to his family and friends.

18. Andy Stephenson

Andy Stephenson pfm Member

Sad news indeed. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.

PIR Billy

19. paulbysea

paulbysea pfm Member

Sad news. My condolences.

20. evand

evand pfm Member

RIP sir, your genius has given me a lifetime of listening pleasure.

Spraggons Den, AndyU and Sean K like this.