advertisement

Quoting

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
I'm looking for some solid information on how much 'quoting' previous posts affects (if at all) the bandwidth of forums. I'm not (in this thread at least..) concerned with the 'etiquette' and 'appropriateness' of quoting, so much as whether 1. Quoting has a significant effect. and 2. Whether the length of the quote, or 'multiquote' is a significant issue?

The other forum I use where there seems to be confusion over posting is hosted by 'Invision Community'

Tony? Other IT peeps?

Quoting a whole post and adding “I agree” or whatever is considered very poor form and should be avoided. That is what the ‘like’ button exists for. Beyond that quoting specific parts of a post and addressing them is always absolutely acceptable. No forum should be running so close to the bar that they worry about bandwidth to that degree, its only a handful of bytes, and content is their revenue stream anyhow.

PS The thing that gets my goat as administrator is folk mangling up their quotes (i.e. deleting core bits of BBcode) and not being bothered to either fix it or delete the post and recompose. That often means someone else then quotes the mangled post and the thread then either looks dreadful or requires me to go through and fix lazy syntax etc! Take some pride folks!

Sometimes clicking the like button seems wrong, if you are liking a post about Covid-19 for example, when you don't like it you agree with it. It would be better to have an agree button and even better if there was a disagree button also.

'm looking for some solid information on how much 'quoting' previous posts affects (if at all) the bandwidth of forums. I'm not (in this thread at least..) concerned with the 'etiquette' and 'appropriateness' of quoting, so much as whether 1. Quoting has a significant effect. and 2. Whether the length of the quote, or 'multiquote' is a significant issue?

The other forum I use where there seems to be confusion over posting is hosted by 'Invision Community'

Tony? Other IT peeps?

Quoting a whole post and adding “I agree” or whatever is considered very poor form and should be avoided. That is what the ‘like’ button exists for. Beyond that quoting specific parts of a post and addressing them is always absolutely acceptable. No forum should be running so close to the bar that they worry about bandwidth to that degree, its only a handful of bytes, and content is their revenue stream anyhow.

PS The thing that gets my goat as administrator is folk mangling up their quotes (i.e. deleting core bits of BBcode) and not being bothered to either fix it or delete the post and recompose. That often means someone else then quotes the mangled post and the thread then either looks dreadful or requires me to go through and fix lazy syntax etc! Take some pride folks!

Sometimes clicking the like button seems wrong, if you are liking a post about Covid-19 for example, when you don't like it you agree with it. It would be better to have an agree button and even better if there was a disagree button also.

I agree - where is the disagree button.......

Most of the bandwidth of a modern web site is taken up transferring graphical content. For example, this post is approximately 200 bytes of text, but even my small avatar to the left is 6 times that.

Most of the bandwidth of a modern web site is taken up transferring graphical content. For example, this post is approximately 200 bytes of text, but even my small avatar to the left is 6 times that.
Cached, locally, only transferred once unless deleted locally. The rest of your post is new to me (today). :)

Cached, locally, only transferred once unless deleted locally. The rest of your post is new to me (today). :)

True, and it's even more complex than that. Web transfers can be compressed end to end. The text will compress better than the image during transfer, because the image already went through image-specific compression, as it's a JPEG. The ads are bigger than the avatars too, so probably the worst offenders.

Basically, to the OP, don't worry about text bandwidth.

Kind regards

- Garry

{QUOTE="Mullardman, post: 3918667, member: 720"]I'm looking for some solid information on how much 'quoting' previous posts affects (if at all) the bandwidth of forums. I'm not (in this thread at least..) concerned with the 'etiquette' and 'appropriateness' of quoting, so much as whether 1. Quoting has a significant effect. and 2. Whether the length of the quote, or 'multiquote' is a significant issue?

Tony? Other IT peeps?[/QUOTE}

I have an issue with the over use of brackets and apostrophes more than poor bbcode.[/QUOTE]

I have an issue with the overuse of brackets and apostrophes more than poor bbcode.
[/QUOTE]

Now that's a new one! Parentheses and basic punctuation? Why not add superfluous capitals, under-use of capitals (a greater occurrence, i.m.o.), lack of semi-colons, paragraphs a mile long...... That poor little tadpole is being bracketed for disapproval; I'm speech mark-less! :D

advertisement

Back