advertisement

Quobuz or Tidal ?

I bought an Auralic Aries G1 recently with a view to subscribing to a streaming service but I'm unsure of which one to choose. I'm leaning towards Quobuz for the simple reason of cost. I would appreciate any thoughts on which to go for, and with my limited computer skills, how to go about setting one up.
Many thanks in advance, Paul.

Pretty sure you can get a trial of both services. I did so several years ago and went for Qobuz. I have just signed up again for the fourth year running.

Mick

Paul

I think they both offer free trials. For me this was the best way to assess what they offer.

Kevin

I’m delighted with Qobuz. One arguable advantage it has is that it’s hi res catalogue is genuinely hi res, rather than quart into a pint pot MQA.

I’ve subscribed to Qobuz for years. I tried Tidal a couple of years ago, running the two together, but in the end ditched Tidal and kept on subscribing to Qobuz. For the music I mainly listen to - classical and jazz - I felt Qobuz had the better catalogue and I also thought the Qobuz metadata was better.

There are free trials of both, why not sign up and see which you prefer?

Just bought a year of Qobuz at the revised price of £149 in the UK. I found Tidal’s presentation didn’t engage me. Loving Qobuz again!!!

Qobuz for me. Jazz catalogue is very good and search facility excellent - I've found some decent recordings of trumpeters who inspired me long ago!
Cheers

Got both running on my system right now and qobuz is the better one for sound quality and that is even over tidal masters MQA

I have flipped between both over the months. I now use Qobuz as it’s cheaper. I think both sound similar and MQA is nothing special. No brainer now it’s so much cheaper for equal sound.

Last edited:
I tried Tidal and Qobuz last year. Preferred the latter in terms of its layout and sound. Will team it up with Roon once I decide on what speaker, amp and DAC combination to go for.

The powered ELAC Navis speakers look good. They work wirelessly with the company's Discovery Connect transmitter to stream Spotify Connect, Roon and Bluetooth etc. However, you can switch the Wireless side off and just use the analogue inputs and outputs.

This would allow the owner to connect a new DAC and streamer to the ELACS when the digital side of audio develops further. I believe you can't do this with a Kii, or some of the other all-in-one solutions, because you can't turn off their digital side.

The ELAC Navis speakers do quality sound reproduction, according to reviews. I haven't heard them in person. I'll pop into Richer Sounds to check them out one day.

Jack

Had qobuz for 4-5years, often take advantage of cheap intro deals on tidal but always go back to qobuz.

I like the European angle to their catalogue, too much focus on r&b, rap & country on tidal.

advertisement

Back